cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Drzzz
New Contributor

Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864OP Bridge Mode

I have just started an Optus ADSL service. Optus supplied me with a Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864OP. The internet is up and running without any problems.

Previously, I had Telstra BigPond cable broadband with their cable router's WiFi turned off (and its NAT disabled) and an Apple Time Capsule connected via ethernet as the WiFi transmitter for my home network. Thus their "router" was really only functioning as the modem.

Is it possible to configure the Sagemcom Gateway to bridge mode, so that it functions purely as a modem? That way I can just plug the Time capsule in to it via ethernet cable and maintain my existing setup. Thanks!

49 Replies
Moderator Tris

Re: Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864OP Bridge Mode

Hey Drzzz, bridge mode can't be enabled on the modem provided. If you did require this feature you'd need to purchase a modem that offers it 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Drzzz
New Contributor

Thanks for that. Cheers!

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Pete
RetiredModerator

Anytime 🙂

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor Dauntless2015
Contributor

I too would like to put my Sagemcom into bridge mode.

The moderator suggestion here is to simply replace it with a new one that offers this feature, but with Optus NBN replacing the Sagemcom is not an option because Optus do not allow any other routers to perform the VOIP function.

So if I have optus NBN and wish to use the Sagemcom for VOIP and then use a new router for data (so I can do port forwarding and DDNS), any suggestions how to do that? I would be very grateful

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

I'm not familiar with that particular modem Dauntless but could disabling Wi-Fi and NAT be a possible solution? My understanding is that it would almost be the same as bridging the modem aside from the fact that all of the LAN ports would still function (in bridge all but 1 are disabled). Or does the firmware prevent that to?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Contributor Dauntless2015
Contributor

Thanks SamSam for your help

I think Optus have removed the option to disable NAT. I will check tonight.

They have purposely crippled the firmware and locked us out of most of the settings

I can understand they don't want inexperienced users messing with them, but for people with the need to change them, it makes the Sagemcom useless

RetiredModerator Dan_DS
RetiredModerator

Hi Drzzz, I can help you with that. (thanks SamSam for your suggestion too!)

1) Port Forwarding is available within the Sagem admin settings. Select the 'advanced' option when you are logged into the admin interface, then click on 'NAT" and 'Virtual Servers'. You will be able to add ports there for forwarding, and the interface already has a long list of options for port forwarding, with settings already configured for most popular online games, and a list of devices that you might require Port Forwarding for. Be aware however that if something is to go wrong with that process, Optus do not support troubleshooting for that feature and you will need to perform a factory reset to reset the settings.

2) There definitely is DDNS ability, please refer to the 'advanced' tab again, and you will see an option underneath the NAT option I mentioned above, called 'DDNS'. At present there is only support for 2 DDNS clients, with DynDNS being the preferred option. It's a very easy setup, and you will have access to the DDNS functionality. This is another feature that our agents do not have training in (as it is a rare request, in 4 years of tech support I've only been asked about it twice), so if you are not sure of what you are doing, I recommend contacting DynDNS or another DDNS client provider for assistance.

3) At present we do not have any other options that are both compatible with our network and the NBN Co configurations. We do know that our network team are working together with Sagem and NBN Co to enable the UniV ports on the NTD to be used for voice lines, however we do not have any specific date for that upgrade yet. No doubt there will also be a new modem/router option at some point also, but there is no information that I'm aware of on any specific model or manufacturer.

There is no setting in the configuration interface to just click and enable Bridge Mode at this point, but one of our experts here has advised that disabling wifi, then connecting your third party router and powercycling the modem should enable Bridge Mode. The downside to this at the moment is you then lose the VOIP capability so would not have your landline access.

I hope that helps!

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

New Contributor take_the_shot
New Contributor

So, I tried to configure the DynDNS, it didn't work... got an error message; 

"Invalid Session Key, please try again"

I know the settings are correct because they work on my DD-WRT router. 

I also tried your suggestion of turning off Wi-fi and re-booting the Optus modem to put it in Bridge mode, guess what, that didn't work either. I'm still receiving a 192.168.x.x IP address from the Optus modem via DHCP. So now when i plug the DD-WRT router in the the Optus modem, the DynDNS update works, but the IP address it sends to DnyDNS is the IP address it receives from the Optus modem i.e. 192.168.0.x, this is obvioulsy useless as it needs to be supplying the publicly routable IP address that it would get from the Optus modem, if bridge mode worked of course. 

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

I'd suggest contacting your IT technician for further support take_the_shot as this is unsupported and the information provided by Dan was a guide and a few handy bits of information but if the steps don't work - an IT tech would be the best person to assist you further.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors