Searching...

Re: Sagemcom Gateway F@ST 3864OP Bridge Mode

Spuddo51

That should be fine. It wont affect the phone as its on a splitter I assume. Just buy a cheap ADSL modem that you can put into bridge mode and then a good router which will the be suitable for when you move to the NBN.

Mikeoh

Sweet, that's what I thought. Didn't want my Asus RT-AC68U to gather dust. 

Spuddo51

That's the router I use. I have installed. DDWRT on it.  Great router.

Highlighted

GlynR

re the question about phone lines, modems and ADSL...

Normally, in an ADSL situation, your home phone is provided through the old POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) method that has been around almost forever. You then put an ADSL filter into the system between the wall socket and the phone and the modem.

If you unplug the modem, turn it off or your internet drops out - the phone keeps on working as it always did. With the NBN the phone works ONLY through the modem so if the modem is unplugged or turned off or you have a power failure or you have any sort of internet failure then you have no home phone either.

So, if you still have ADSL, there is no reason to use the modem that Optus provided (as it is pretty crappy) except for the fact that they supply it for free. If you already have a better modem or you don't mind paying for a better modem then you can replace the Sagemcom modem with no issues - you just have to enter the same settings into it as are already in the Sagemcom modem.

If Optus have provided you with a VOIP phone line through your current ADSL modem then I'm guessing that you would have the same issues as those of us on the NBN have - but the Sagemcom ADSL modem originally provided to me by Optus didn't have any VOIP or VDSL capability so that wasn't possible. I would doubt that Optus would have set you up with VOIP if you only have ADSL as they already have access to the POTS and it would be easier for them to use that.

If you went with Internode for ADSL and you got them to provide a home phone then that would HAVE to be VOIP since Internode don't want to pay to have access to the POTS. When I had Internode as my ISP I had Optus as my phone provider with a normal POTS phone line. I changed from Internode to Optus as my ADSL ISP about a year before the NBN came to my area but I didn't use their modem but kept the Fritzbox modem I was using with Internode. When I moved to the NBN fraudband I stayed with Optus for everything because their bundle suited me and it wasn't until AFTER it was all setup that I found that I couldn't replace their crappy modem and keep using my Fritzbox modem even though it supported VDSL.

Since then, I have spent hours arguing with Optus and sending letters to the Telecommunications Ombudsman with no luck. I can exit my Optus agreement with no penalty since they won't provide me with the ability to use my own modem or I can stay with them and put up with their modem. I've chosen to stay because their bundle works for me and I can get around their crappy modem by connecting my Fritzbox modem to the Sagemcom and mostly making use of the Fritzbox.

GlynR

"Do you know if there is a way to do this? Would it be possible to add the VoIP ports (whatever they are) to the Virtual server list and point to itself?"

I have setup the DMZ in the Sagemcom modem to point to my Fritzbox router. This way all requests (other than the VOIP packets) get passed to the Fritzbox which then handles everything else.

Can you do it the other way around? ie use YOUR modem as the primary device and forward the VOIP ports to the Sagemcom modem. Well, I've read that if you forward ports 5060 through 5065 for UDP then that will work but I haven't tried it. It is possible that the VOIP uses TCP on one or more of these ports so I'd forward both UDP and TCP traffic for the port range 5060 to 5065. I've read that VOIP only uses 5060 and 5061 but then I've also read that sometimes it uses other ports as well.

So ... you can try it and it and see if it works and then post the results back to this forum as that would probably be a better way to do it as then only the VOIP traffic goes through to the Sagemcom modem and everything else is handled by your non-crippled modem/router. Probably a good idea to turn off the wifi in the Sagemcom and only use the wifi from the other router as the Sagemcom wifi is pretty bad.

GlynR

@wayne,

there is no setting for turning on PING response in the modem so the only way I can see that you could do this is to set it up with a different modem. Then, once it's setup and working you will know what settings are in the modem at your end so copy those settings into the SAGEMCOM modem and replace your real modem with the Sagemcom modem and you should be done. Since the remote end is already setup and you are not changing it then you should be OK to do this.

However, if you are setting up an IPSEC tunnel in the other modem (and it works) then you can't copy those settings to the SAGEMCOM modem anyway as it doesn't support VPNs.

If the tunnel that you want to create is between a PC in your network and a remote server then you should be able to ...

replace you SAGEMCOM with a "real" modem with Ping Enabled

Setup your tunnel

Replace the the "real" modem with the Sagemcom

Assuming that any port forwarding settings are already the same in both modems then that should work unless the tunnel won't reconnect unless it can ping your end. 

If your modem has to respond to a periodic ping from the other end then you just to bite the bullet and replace the sagemcom and lose your VOIP or try the SMZ solution I posted earlier.

Mikeoh

"So, if you still have ADSL, there is no reason to use the modem that Optus provided (as it is pretty crappy) except for the fact that they supply it for free. If you already have a better modem or you don't mind paying for a better modem then you can replace the Sagemcom modem with no issues - you just have to enter the same settings into it as are already in the Sagemcom modem."

yep thats my situation. Thanks for all the help Smiley Happy

tomfan98

hi, my situation is the following.

i am connecting using sagecom 3864 modem via dsl with the phone socket, right now i am having trouble with buffbloat.My parents are taking my bandwith when they streaming. so my solution is to get a router that has openwrt which can stricts their bandwith and protize my gaming over their streaming. I do not need the voip phone line service. all i need is a new router that has that feature to priotize my gaming. and like u said previosuly, if i don't need the phone service , i can just use my new modem.  however i checked on official optus byo guide, it saidYou must plug your Optus supplied modem in first to activate your new ADSL connection, as your Modem has your broadband connection details already programmed into it.  so i am confused.  do i still have to bridge the sagecom in order to connect?

Spuddo51

Sorry I don't know anything about ADSL

wfjm

Hi,

I run the Sagemcom as my connection to the NBN. I connect one of the lan ports on the Sagemcom to a Wan port on my Netgear router and run Gargoyle to do my bandwidth monitoring ans quotas etc

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
82 Kudos
76 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
29 Kudos