Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sagemcom F@ST3864V2 doesn't remember its settings and MAC address filtering kills WiFi connection

Hello.

Have had a lot of grief with the Sagemcom 3864 V2 modem I was given when I switched to Optus Cable NBN about a year ago. I used to have a Netgear CG3000 - 2STAUS modem before the NBN and it worked really well. I could set up all my personal preferences and the security on it. I could even activate bridge mode to work with another router in the house to extend the WiFi, but now with the Sagemcom modem I recieved to work with the NBN none of that seems to work effectively.

The white Sagemcom modem sometimes doesn't change settings. I can change a basic setting, hit save, then more often than not get a blank frown face screen response in the web browser with a message like 'the modem didn't respond'. I cannot tell if the setting changed or not and then later on find out the setting didn't change.

Alternatively, I tried to MAC address filter some of the home devices as I don't want all of them accessing WiFi, but then it locks up and kills the WiFi to everything in the house. So I just leave it with a password and all its default settings.

The Sagemcom doesn't even look like it support an effective bridge mode?

About a month ago I lost internet for 24 hours and calls to the support centre discovered the unit could not register itself on the Optus network and a support person had to reconnect it. This never happened before.

The same setups on the Netgear worked flawlessly. The old Netgear ran rings around the Sagemcom!

Can I get a different modem of my own and connect it up? I have heard if I do Optus will not support my phone on a different modem? What options do I then have available where I can keep the phone and have better configuration control of the modem?

I would prefer not to hang a 3rd device in the chain (NBN gateway - Optus modem - My router) just to get back to what I had before. Seems very messy when before I just had one device which did all 3?

Help please?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Sagemcom F@ST3864V2 doesn't remember its settings and MAC address filtering kills WiFi connectio

Hi. What NBN tech are you using? Cable? What router are you using?

It's possible Optus can switch over your modern for the more recent black box model that also does AC wifi speeds.

Perhaps @Dan_C can investigate your options here.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Sagemcom F@ST3864V2 doesn't remember its settings and MAC address filtering kills WiFi connectio

Hi Peter

Thanks for your response

It is HFC coax cable internet. The coax is connected to an NBN Arris CM8200 box. There is an ethernet cable that then connects the Arris box to the white Optus Sagemcom 3864 router.

regards

Ladicav

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ok,

So its possible to split the device functionality if you want to just use the Optus modem for the phone. Involves another device though called a switch. These are 100% plug and play and just act like a double adapter for your ethernet. Something like this.

Just plug the ethernet cable from the CM8200 into the switch and then the Sagemcom and any other modem into the switch as well (using their WAN ports). You'll need to shut off all functions on the Optus modem (wifi hdcp etc.) and you should just be able to plug your phone into it and get a dial tone. Then set up the other modem (optus or otherwise as you want as your main PC modem) 

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter

Understand that, but then thats a 3rd device in the chain that I need to power and configure to do the job of what was one device before.

This is only because the Sagemcom acts erratically at best. If it saved settings properly, could configure a wireless bridge or MAC address filtering worked properly, I'd be happy to use it.

You mentioned there is a newer router that Optus can offer? I'd rather not have a 3rd device in the chanin only because the Sagemcom is a large step down from the Optus Netgear I used to use.

regards

Ladicav.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Optus has settled on a two device solution for some reason. Presumably the first device stays constant and they can swap over the actual modem as models and technology progresses. The NBN also has different technologies to deal with so an initial NBN router connected to the actual modem is not as unusual a situation these days.

Note that while the switch I linked requires a power board it requires zero configuration (there are no configuration options).

As I said you can contact Optus and request the updated modem (same look but black). You still need the two devices minimum. Optus may upgrade for free or charge some amount depending on what sort of customer you are. The switch solution above allows you to use an Optus modem for phone and the netgear (or any other modem with a WAN port) for internet.

Good Luck

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Apologies. I didn't follow up with this until now.

So I can get a switch and disable all the wireless and DHCP functions on the Sagemcom and just have that act as the dumb phone portal and I can use ANY other router for my internet?

So, the internet router can be one I can select and doesn't have to be an Optus issued device? How does that go with registering the device onto the Optus network? Do I have to contact Optus and tell them I'm using my own device?

Before I go out and spend money, is this confirmed something that Optus will support?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Hi,

So I can confirm this works (as I do it myself ). The configuration necessarily 'supported' by Optus but I'm not sure what that means in this case. Worst case scenario you just unplug the switch and go back to only using the Optus modem. Optus will happily register their modem with the switch in play (which is invisible to them anyway)

The setup is wall plate to the HFC router. It has a single Cat5 port that you plug into the switch. You also plug the Optus modem in and your prefered modem in (both using the dedicated WAN port in those modems.) You should be able to immeadiately confirm you still get a dial tone from a phone plugged into the Optus phone. The main 'tricky' bit is to ensure both modems have a different IP address (with your preffered one having the key one in your home (e.g. 192,168.0.1). Disable everything on the Optus Modem (doesn't even need a proper IP address as the phone function doesn't use it)

You should be good to go. Note a simple switch like this is all your need. 

You only need to register the Optus Modem once with Optus with it plugged in (you should have already done that?)  No need to tell Optus you are using your own device. But if you have to ring customer support one day because your internet is down then the help they will be able to give you on your modem is obviously limited.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Peter.

Well I went to UMART today and picked up one of those small 5 port Netgear switches. Connected it all up like you said. Was a bit of a fiddle around but I managed to set the Sagemcom to a different IP address, disabled its DCHP and Wireless functions. 

So I connected the WAN ports of the Sagemcom and my preferred router into the switch as well as the LAN port of NBN gateway box.

Setup the security on the devices and now everything works again. I now have internet, secured home wireless, MAC address filtering and a second true bridged wireless device in another part of the house. The Sagemcom only passes the phone and does nothing else.

Thank you for this solution. I didn't really want another device in the chain (theres 4 now! NBN box, Sagemcom box, 5 port switch, and my main router that now do the job of what used to be ONE device!). Frustrating, really inefficient, but if this is what it takes to make it work with the freedom of choosing my own router then I guess it is what it is.

regards

ladicav

Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Thanks for letting us know how it worked out. 

Well done on lining all the ducks up 🐵

Peter Gillespie