cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor grantsayer
Occasional Contributor

Sagemcom F@ST 3864AC Wifi Needs Regular Rebooting

Description & Background

I have the SagemCom F@st 3864AC modem which every couple of days needs a reboot to get it back to a usable operating speed. It typically reaches this point where the connection just freezes (web browser load bar at 20%) and the spinning wifi symbol.  Not only does it happen on the 2.4GHz channel but also on the 5GHz channel and when you try to login to the web admin interface that just repeatably asks for login credentials and that's all

Steps to Try and Solve

Ok so a couple (4 chats) to support and this is what has evolved

1. Usual tech support comment of 'reboot the modem and wait for 30secs'.  Restores responsiveness but often only for 24hrs
  2. Change the wifi channel.  Well did that - worked but when i ran a scanner over the surrounding wifi networks there was no observable interference
  3. Rinse and repeat steps 1 - 2

What next?

Ok so a couple of questions to the community.

1. Will replacing the wifi part of the 2 box Sagemcom OPTUS solution help ?  i.e it has a cable part and then connects to the wifi box
  2. Can i replace the wifi completely with a Mesh wifi solution like the Netgear Orbi or Google Mesh ?
  3. Do i just try my nearest friendly ISP competitor ?

Note that i was previous OPTUS cable subscriber - renovated my house and then had to re-establish the connection so got a new modem and it's been an ever decreasing decline in performance of the wifi unit.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Sagemcom F@ST 3864AC Wifi Needs Regular Rebooting

If you are pushing too much through it, it's possible it's just not coping with the workload. They weren't exactly designed as high end units.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for feedback.  I had suspected that data volume may be an issue but there have been equally if not more occassions when there was no previous large data sessions and simply trying to use email is a flop.

Is it just the quality of the wireless router which OPTUS sends out ?

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Ok. So quick update - kept getting the problem and Optus sent out a new Sagemcom F@ST3864v3HP model this time.

Still wanted to know can i just ditch this somewhat lack-lustre wifi unit with a mesh unit via a cable from the HFC box (modem?) to the wan port on a new shiny mesh unit ?

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

If your mesh unit is a router as well, then yes.

or you could just turn the wifi off on the f@st and plug the mesh unit into the lan port on the f@st?

note, if you remove the f@st, Optus won’t log faults to nbn until it’s proven with the f@st.

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the info

Is it feasible to take the WAN output from the Netgear HFC unit and plug into a wireless router like the TP-Link AS1900 or equivalent ?  This looks like it can handle larger volumes of streaming traffic

regards

grant

0 Kudos
Top Contributors