The long weekend is nearly here – time to break out the speakers for a poolside party. Check out Yes... Read the full story
2019-03-25 03:30 PM
Description & Background
I have the SagemCom F@st 3864AC modem which every couple of days needs a reboot to get it back to a usable operating speed. It typically reaches this point where the connection just freezes (web browser load bar at 20%) and the spinning wifi symbol. Not only does it happen on the 2.4GHz channel but also on the 5GHz channel and when you try to login to the web admin interface that just repeatably asks for login credentials and that's all
Steps to Try and Solve
Ok so a couple (4 chats) to support and this is what has evolved
- Usual tech support comment of 'reboot the modem and wait for 30secs'. Restores responsiveness but often only for 24hrs
- Change the wifi channel. Well did that - worked but when i ran a scanner over the surrounding wifi networks there was no observable interference
- Rinse and repeat steps 1 - 2
Ok so a couple of questions to the community.
- Will replacing the wifi part of the 2 box Sagemcom OPTUS solution help ? i.e it has a cable part and then connects to the wifi box
- Can i replace the wifi completely with a Mesh wifi solution like the Netgear Orbi or Google Mesh ?
- Do i just try my nearest friendly ISP competitor ?
Note that i was previous OPTUS cable subscriber - renovated my house and then had to re-establish the connection so got a new modem and it's been an ever decreasing decline in performance of the wifi unit.
2019-03-26 03:57 PM
If you are pushing too much through it, it's possible it's just not coping with the workload. They weren't exactly designed as high end units.
2019-03-27 02:46 PM
Thanks for feedback. I had suspected that data volume may be an issue but there have been equally if not more occassions when there was no previous large data sessions and simply trying to use email is a flop.
Is it just the quality of the wireless router which OPTUS sends out ?