cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Sagemcom 5366TN now showing 802.11ax mode - WiFi6

I noticed today that my Optus 5366TN Gateway is  showing  802.11ax for WiFi 2.4GHz and 5GHz as a selectable mode. 

The same information appears in the configuration summary. 

2.4GHz WiFi Mode 802.11 b,g,n,x

5.0Ghz WiFi Mode 802.11 a,n,ac,x

Other 5366TN gateway somewhere else. 

2.4GHz Mode 802.11 b,g,n

5.0 Ghz Mode 802.11 n,ac

Does anyone know what is going on ? 

I checked the firmware and "datapump" against another modem and there were no differences anywhere. 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Sagemcom 5366TN now showing 802.11ax mode - WiFi6

What firmware version do you have?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Modem with AX capability 

Serial Number N71*****Q******
Hardware Version FAST5366TN-A
Software Version SG4Y1T000105
Bootloader Version 0.66.0-sec
GUI Version 4.56.1
Datapump Version A2pvfbH043r.d26u

Modem with AC capability

Serial Number N72*****Q******
Hardware Version FAST5366TN-A
Software Version SG4Y1T000105
Bootloader Version 0.66.0-sec
GUI Version 4.56.1
UpTime 00h05m55s
Datapump Version A2pvfbH043r.d26u

Is it possible they shipped some modems with AX hardware ? 

As a subset of serial numbers, the N71 is the only difference I can find. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

My details are identical to your N71*****Q****** but I have no AX option.

I guess its possible that some have AX hardware but unlikely. Sagemcom may for example have  delivery commitments to Optus but didn't have any non-aAX wifi chips available so they used AX versions. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

There is a newer model of the same modem AX (Wifi-6)  on the Sagemcom website. 

Do you know how I can prove the AX mode is operational and not a small glitch in GUI code?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

There is a newer model of the same modem AX (Wifi-6)  on the Sagemcom website. 

I can't find any 5366TN on their website (never could). Do you have a link?

Do you know how I can prove the AX mode is operational and not a small glitch in GUI code?

Only if the routers wifi options (or the device you are connecting to) allow you to restrict connections to AX only.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

To see the AX mode. You must first disable 2.4 and 5 GHZ mode. If your router has the capability it will then show AX on the signal mode.

When you select the signal mode and then enable WiFi again the AX reference goes blank.

However, in the main info page it shows AX mode in the wifi configs (as per my first post).

Try it again with wifi disabled. Then look at the advanced menu options. Then enable wifi and go to the summary page.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

You may have a collectors edition F@ST5366TN-A! Wi-Fi 6 operates in the 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz bands, so they should not be disabled if you want Wi-Fi 6 enabled. When you successfuly log-in to the modem on 192.168.0.1 does your URL change to  192.168.0.1/2.0/gui/#/login/ or a different gui version number? 

To verify if Wi-Fi 6 is enabled on the modem, you would need to use a Wi-Fi 6 enabled device. You can still use previous 802.11 Wi-Fi versions on a Wi-Fi 6 enabled modem, but the respective device adaptors will be limited to their native speed limits.

If you have a Wi-Fi 6 laptop (or wireless device), connect to the higher speed 5GHz SSID first and then look at its Wireless Adaptor Properties section will show you the transmission speed from the laptop to the modem. Do the lookup a few times to see if it varies substantially - use the highest reading. Write it down and then go to Wikipedia pages - included there should be a table of possible speeds that are supported for a single spatial stream - your actual speed in use is variable and subject to local and technical factors such as modulation, channel bonding width, coding, guard intervals - all shown in the table. If your speed is higher than figures shown, you may be connecting with two spatial streams. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ax

In the future Wi-Fi 6E will use frequencies over 6Ghz, so that will show up as a separate band to connect to. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

@MiJuDesign wrote:
To see the AX mode. You must first disable 2.4 and 5 GHZ mode. If your router has the capability it will then show AX on the signal mode.

If you need to do that to see AX then to me it look more like just sloppy code which is determining the wifi capability

then enable WiFi again the AX reference goes blank.

which is reinforced by the field going blank. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

In every detail possible the two modems are identical except for the additional menu option for AX mode. Even in the summary page the AX mode is listed. 

You must first disable WiFi completely to make the menu option visible. Then you can select the AX mode and re-enable WiFi.

It is probably a bad segement of code. That is the most logical explanation. 

Last night I swapped the two modems around (one has wifi running and one doesnt) and this morning I find out they both have AX mode listed. So it is not serial number specific. It is to do with disabling the WiFi completely and some type of code jump takes place, then it shows up with AX mode in the Advanced menu. 

It does not relate to serial number, it requires the WiFi to be switched off for a few hours, perhaps also the LTE mode to be switched off on the 5366TN (which doesnt have LTE). 

I have a tendency to switch off everything I am not using in the router to conserve network traffic and router CPU. I believe one of the other configurations can trigger AX mode to appear in the WiFi menu. I agree it is a software glitch caused by deactivation of a router function. 

As I dont have anything with AX connectivity I have no immediate method for testing the signal.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors