cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Blueboy28
Occasional Contributor

Sagecom 3864OP Wifi settings

Since Optus replaced my previous Netgear Modem with a two piece NBN ready set up my wifi reception has been poor. I am on high speed cable and have a Netgear CM500V Modem with a Sagecom F@ST 3864OP router. I have gone into my router settings and tried different configurations with no improvement. Is there anywhere the recommended settings are shown for Wifi and does having WSP enabled or disabled have any affect on signal strength? Current settings which I believe are most secure are shown below.

wifi settings.JPG

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Re: Sagecom 3864OP Wifi settings

@Blueboy28, enabling WPS isn't going make any difference to your speed. WPA stands for Wi-Fi Protected Access, it's a WiFi security protocol. 

How are you from the router? There's a couple of things that are worth trying

1)You can try changing your WiFi channel settings.

2)You could purchase a powerline adapter or a WiFi extender

3) You can purchase your own router and bridge that to you CM500V. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your response. I am trying to check that the Wifi settings I have shown in my post are the best options for signal strength.Cannot seem to find them posted anywhere by Optus. (Tech installed but I changed for security reasons recommended)

It is disappointing to think I would need to purchase my own router to achieve an improvement in my Wifi signal.

I have also heard that extenders are not really effective.

My router is approximately 15 metres away from the room that my signal is dropping away in (Foxtel Now Box and I pads phones etc). Couple of doors and walls in between. The old Netgear Cable Modem worked fine but since the changeover signal strength is clearly not as good. Frustrating to say the least.Smiley Frustrated

RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Hey @Blueboy28, have you followed the steps that Dan listed above relating to your WiFi settings at all? 

I can appreciate that the issues you've had would be pretty frustrating, unfortunately our troubleshooting of a WiFi connection would be limited given its nature.

Generally speaking, WiFi extenders are a useful tool to boost the connection so it may be worth trying 🙂

If you're still having trouble, I'd recommend chatting with our Faults team directly on 13 13 44 so that we can take a closer look at your modem itself. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

Hi @AlexRH thanks for your response also. I was hoping to avoid contacting support and thought that the recommended wifi settings for the Sagecom Router might have been available on line somewhere? It appears not at this point.

Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, we do have our Sagemcom F@st 3864 with A.C. That's our dual band 5Ghz modem. 

802.11ac WiFi can support speeds up to 3 times as fast the older standard of WiFi. 

You're looking at an upgrade cost of $40.00 

--------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Occasional Contributor

No my problem has not been solved. I simply want to check that the wifi settings I currently have in my router are those recommended by Optus. So far I have not been able to find them on line anywhere.

My issue is not speed but signal strength so I do not need an upgraded router at additional cost.

I do not have the time to spend on support phone call for something I fear is not solvable but just what the equipment is capable of.Smiley Sad

Occasional Contributor

Well as I expected all along and as is now evident from other posters on this forum the Sagecom 3864OP router is the problem.

Wifi range is apalling and cannot be fixed other than for me to spend $200 on a decent router. Optus are fully aware of this but have taken the cheap option for their "valued" customers!

Really disappointing after so many years of a fast, reliable and trouble free service. Original modem (netgear) worked fine for years.

Have not got the time or the patience to take it up with the Ombudsman who it appears does not want to know about it anyway due to complaint volumes. 

Smart business decision Optus but have you factored in business loss and Technician call out time (who cant resolve anyway)?

Come NBN time I will be reviewing my provider being the owner of a decent router!

Top Contributors