Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor thetoppy
New Contributor

SUPER SLOW Cable internet Baulkham HIlls Area

Hi Team,

I recently joined the Optus with hope that internet will run better than ADSL2+ I have received from TPG (12 Mbps)

Now I realise that I have made the biggest mistake

1. Peak period the maximum i could get is 3Mbps - i cannot even watch video on facebook... 

2. Whenever calling support - same pattern "Restart Modem", "Unplug Cable", "Please use only 1 device to connect to router" -- we are in 2017 now.... so every device require internet

3. $60 with the advertisement of speed upto 30 Mbps ... barely make 5 Mbps ... rare rare

I would like to know in this case - i should be able to allow to leave the contract right? as i am not satisfy with the service you have provided at all! 

May be i better change back to ADSL2+

Tags (1)
5 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SUPER SLOW Cable internet Baulkham HIlls Area

If it's a congestion issue you should have no problems cancelling the contract without penalty. If you do the link below has information on who to contact about that.

I'm not sure that it's always possible to go back to adsl once you have moved to cable or the NBN.

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/support/answer/complaints-compliments?requestType=NormalRequest&id=1409...

New Contributor thetoppy
New Contributor

Hi Yeldarb 

thanks for replying yeah ... I think in my house we have both cabl from Optus and normal phone line that still left over.

thing is NBN is around the corner so once it is there most likely no more ADSL in this area any more.

thing that I scare the most is surely Optus will force everyone to get on to NBN

and I am not that confident that situation will be improved .. (it may) I didn't expect the huge bandwidth but at least 8-10 Mbps that will do.

from your experience - is it getting better once it is onboarded to NBN? Or even worst

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I am probably not the best person to ask about the NBN however the ability to connect more people to a fast reliable network can only be a good thing. I guess for those who already have a fast reliable adsl or cable service it must be one big disappointment especially when reading about the congestion issues that many people have reported.

I guess if it was my connection I would be holding out as long as could however I have no need for the NBN and unless they shut down the mobile phone towers I will never use it. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
New Contributor paullew
New Contributor

Nice, this thread is now the top google result for "optus cable baulkham hills slow". Let this be a warning for anyone considering signing up.

I joined a few months ago and it's been good, up until about a month ago. Now, the peak-hour congestion is horrible, every night.

I'm getting 6Mbps tonight. I used to get 12mbps on ADSL... I'm starting to regret switching.  I did my research before signing up and Whirlpool users said the speeds were good. Something has obviously changed since I signed up.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hannah-L
RetiredModerator

Hey @paullew, I'm sorry to hear about the issues with your connection speeds. Have you raised this with our Tech Support team yet?

0 Kudos