Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Craigsta
New Contributor

STB Return Delay Fee

On Friday the 13th (appropriately it seems), I received my OPTUS home/broadband/Fetch TV bill to find that I have been charged a "STB delay return fee" which tripled my phone bill. I had upgraded from a Gen 1 to a Gen 2 box in mid May due to the old box being faulty. The new box had arrived promptly, I repackaged my old one, arranged pick of the old box, left it out for collection and it was collected. This whole sequence happened within about four days and I was pretty impressed with the service. This is about the fourth set top box I have had to change over and there have never been any issues.

I called customer help immediately as I was gob smacked and frankly, not a happy customer. The operator asked for the consignment number but given that two months have passed, no longer have it. I was told that to resolve this, I would need to contact Toll on Monday, (today), and ask for the consignment number. She gave me the number to call but I told her that I have dealt with Toll in the past and that they will not even answer the phone and that I was not impressed at having to prove my innocence.  The phone call to customer service went for about twenty frustrating minutes.

Today I have called Toll three times already and the calls, as predicted, just ring out. (The last time I used Toll I had to use social media to get a response). I will continue to call them throughout the day but only to prove a point as I already know they wont answer.

This morning I was speaking to a work colleague who also has a Fetch TV account. He said he had exactly the same problem and that it turned out his set top box had been in transit for weeks before being returned to Optus.

I have been an Optus customer for years and have contacted Optus previously for faults and bill enquiries without incident so I'm taken aback with the response I have received. (I even gave Optus Fetch Tv a rave review on productreview.com.au).

If the set top box had not been returned to Optus within a reasonable time frame, I would have shrugged my shoulders, paid the bill and moved on. But since I had no idea that the box had not been returned and now have to chase Toll, I am, to put it nicely, unhappy.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: STB Return Delay Fee

I'm not sure you can get the consignment number from Toll. The pickup package was arranged by Optus so it really can only be Optus who enquire about the status of the package. That said I'm surprised its so hard to get Toll on the line as they sort of need to answer the phone to take delivery orders etc.

I can only suggest that you bounce back to Optus and you may get a customer service person who will look into the matter properly. Otherwise a mod may pop in and you can ask them to see what is happening behind the scenes. FWIW whenever a STB does finally turn up then the amount is usually recreditted automatically. Its unclear what time frame (since you sent the old STB off) you are refering to BTW.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Moderator Tris

Hi @Craigsta, I'm unsure why the Team Member directed you to Toll in this instance. We can check the status of the return on our end using the serial number. Could you please send me a PM with your full name, account number, DOB? I'll get this sorted out for you

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor Craigsta
New Contributor

Hi Tris,

Thanks for replying.

Yesterday, after four phone calls, Toll answered and told me that I have been given the wrong number to call, but transferred me to the right one. The operator told me that they did not have my name on file and that basically, the system couldn't work backwards, i.e. I needed the consignment number or at least the booking number to be able to find my name. I told the Optus operator this and after she met with some other team members, said they would credit the STB return fee on my next invoice. I am usure why they couldn't adjust the current invoice but frankly I'm exhausted and didn't ask.

This has been a horrible experience.

0 Kudos
Moderator Tris

I'm really sorry for all the trouble, it should have been resolved in the first instance. Thank you for getting in touch 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors