cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

SPAM filer trapping genuine email address

All of a sudden Optus SPAM filer is trapping a genuine daily email from my broker. Was working fine. Borker's email address is in my contacts in webmail....

I have opened one of the emails and flagged it as "not spam" which forces the email back into my inbox...... but does not remember that and the net day's email goes into SPAM.... Help!!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: SPAM filer trapping genuine email address

Problem solved (I hope) by luck...

I replied to my contact and Optus blocked the email on the way out - told me to contact "mailblockreview@optusnet.com.au". Which I did and they have already advised that i is now corrected.....

If ony the online chat team were aware of this escalation point/process.....

(and supposedly openeing an email in the SPAM folder and clicking NOT SPAM, should correct the filter automatically but simetimes manual intervention is required).

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah, sorry we couldn't get to you sooner @Geoffa56.

I'm glad we were able to figuire this one out.

All OptusNet email is subject to the Optus Spam & Phishing Filter. On occassion, emails may incorrectly be filtered.

For anyone else experiencing the same, I'll leave this below:

If you feel that an email that you've sent is being incorrectly blocked by the filter, follow these steps to have us re-assess your email and provide you with a resolution.

HOW TO REQUEST A REVIEW OF YOUR EMAIL

1. Send the original email 'as is' to mailblockreview@optusnet.com.au or simply add the mail block review address to your original mail-out list. We need to view the email exactly as it was originally sent, so please do not forward or send it as an attachment

2. Send a separate email to mailblockreview@optusnet.com.au explaining your role and the purpose of the original email. Ensure that you reference the original email in the subject line and provide your contact details so that we can reach you

3. In most cases we will advise you of the outcome of the review within 2 business days via a return email
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have been waiting for seven days for a reply / review to ongoing 'mail block review' to an email address of a business associate that I've been emailing for more than four years.

Why now and why is the review taking so long?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi MurBen,

Do you have the details of who you are waiting for a reply from so we can try to follow this up?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Ray,

This has been going on since 25/02/2020

I am waiting for a reply from:- Optus Consumer Solutions Team
hidden

I tried to email again this morning to the same address and still got blocked! This is really frustrating. I have worked with these people for five+ years and never before had this problem.

Why?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hurrah!

Finally: "The forwarded email content was not marked as Spam by the Optus Spam Filter."

Taken 11 days!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Glad to hear it's finally been resolved for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I was having a similarly frustrating issue and I've just worked out how to fix it.

Looking at a fragment of the email header I saw this (I've redacted the line and inserted the <removed> text):

X-optus-cm-spam spam
X-optus-cm-score 100
X-optus-cm-analysis v=2.3 cv=<removed> c=1 sm=1 tr=0 p=<removed> a=<removed> a=<removed> ...

Doing some research I found that if there is a "p=" in the analysis fingerprint this indicates the email has been deemed to be spam (whether it is or not).

I also worked out that the "cm" in the above is Cloudmark.  Turns out they have a page for reporting accuracy issues relating to spam:

https://www.cloudmark.com/en/knowledgebase/cloudmark-authority-sdk/how-to-report-an-accuracy-issue

To fix the problem you'll need to download the incorrectly flagged spam email:

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 22.57.24.png

Then on that Cloudmark page click the "Request support" button, enter your details, put "False positive spam email" or similar in the summary, add a brief description of the problem and attach the intact email you saved out.  Set Priority to P4, Reproducibility to "Every Time" (if it is happening repeatedly for the same sender) and click Submit.

I got a reply within a few minutes from Cloudmark and they fixed the problem (I've deidentified the quoted email here:

Dear <my name>,

Thank you for contacting Cloudmark.

Domain domain<dot>org was the reason for spam verdict.

I have reset it and you should be good to go now.

Brilliant service.  Problem solved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

The below instructions are as clear as mud. 

Step 1 seems to say, forward the original email to mailblockreview. 

So what is Step 2. I have to explain why I am sending an email, my role? And you want to know the PURPOSE of an email! What's the purpose of a letter? Of a phone call? 

I sent in my best guess for steps 1 and 2 three days ago and I am still waiting! My email to the same person is blocked again tonight. You appear to have blocked the person I am sending an email to. Why?

!@#$%^UI() Optus. 

0 Kudos