Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

SMTP Port Forwarding on Mobile Broadband 4G

Hello,

A customer of mine has bought a Huawei E8372 4G USB device to use as a backup to their unstable ADSL link. This 4G device needs to be able to accept SMTP connections as the customer has their own mail server in their network and I need to be able to forward incoming SMTP connections to it.

My question is, do Optus Mobile Broadband services allow incoming SMTP connections? My attemps to get this to work have failed.

The following thread gives a good summary of what seems to be going on.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2510580

Does my customer need to purchase a specific service/device?

Your speedy assistance would be appreciated as the customer needs this setup asap and your technical telephone support was... not very technical. 😉

Thanks.

Vik

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: SMTP Port Forwarding on Mobile Broadband 4G

Port forwarding is not available on nearly all Optus 4g services as you are not provided a public IP address - only shared NAT IP address.

Unless you have a vpn tunnel set from that mail server box out into the internet then there will be no other way of doing what you need.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: SMTP Port Forwarding on Mobile Broadband 4G

Thx for the info. Sad to know that is the case but...

In any case, 3G is still better than nothing if it comes with static IP. Can you give me more information? Product/Bundle name etc. The customer has already bought the 3g/4g usb modem and their not locked in, thank goodness.

Thanks.

PS: I've found Optus resellers that claim to sell 4G with static. Strange Optus does not....!

0 Kudos