Searching...

Router or Modem?

Andrew8429

Hello all.  Its my first time on this forum.  I have a Sagemcom Gateway F@st 3864AC Home Gateway NBN Router and a Netgear Cable eMTA CM500v-isTAUS modem both supplied by Optus.  

I don't find my wifi that good and have been exploring changing the router.  I've looked at extenders and even mesh (Google Wifi).  But when I have looked at this forum on particular pages I am perplexed to see folks referring to the Sagemcom as a modem.  I thought it was just a router.  Can anyone clarify that please?  If you can point me to a technical website that validates what you tell me all the better. 

This then leads me to the question - if I want to change my router for something "better" (Ive been looking at a Netgear Nighthawk unit but have an open mind) can I toss the Sagemcom? 

I assume I am obliged to use the optus supplied Netgear modem.  Will my landline (VOIP) work without the Sagemcom? I assume so because the phone connection is plugged into the Netgear modem (so why then are there phone icons on the Sagemcom). 

Apologies for all of these questions but any guidance will be most appreciated.  Thanks

Re: Router or Modem?

pwright

The Sagecom is both a Modem and Router, if you are on Cable or NBN, you will just use it as a Router, via the WAN interface, but it has a modem inbuilt for those on ADSL & FTTN (Copper Phone Line) on NBN.

You can use any router you like behind the Optus Supplied Cable modem, instead of the Sagecom, but to use the Optus Supplied phone, you would have to remain with the Sagecom, if you dont use the home phone you can use another router.  If your VOIP phone is coming out of the Cable Modem, and not the Sagecom, then that should be ok to use another router also.

You could also look at just purchasing a Access Point, and plugging into the Back of the Sagecom as well, to provide wifi, off the existing router as another Option.  Hope that helps Smiley Happy

petergdownload

Yes, For VOIP you need the Optus supplied modem (however you can reduce that modem to only doing VOIP and set up another one to do everything else (wifi, etc.). Are you HFC NBN?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Andrew8429

Many thanks for that - it helps me a lot.  I did check and my VOIP phone line is most definitely plugged into the Netcom Modem.  So based on your comment earlier I am completely do away with the Sagemcom router/modem.  I like the access point suggestion.  I should mention that I have a cable going from the Sagemcom unit to a switch then another cable going to my desktop (in my study at the other end of my house).  I don't get good wifi in the study.  If I add a switch in my study and run from it (a) my desktop and (b) an access point - would that work?  The next inevitable question....any tips on a good access point unit?  Thanks again. 

Andrew8429

Thanks Peter - your advice does seem to conflict with pwright's (ie the need or not to use the Sagemcom Modem/router if I want to continue to use Optus VOIP).  Right now my phone line is plugged into the Netgear modem.  So I'm a bit confused I guess.  I liked pwright's idea of an access point (I'd put it in my study) because I have an ethernet point in my study.  I've got a wifi extender plugged into a power point in the study but it is struggling to reach the modem/router a few rooms away.

Re your question about HFC NBN - I used to be with Telstra/Foxtel so tI was then using HFC cable.  I moved to Optus a few months ago and have Optus/Fetch - they installed a new line of course.  I am on cable, but our area is not yet on NBN.  But I am on cable and so think that it is probably HFC.  How would I check that for sure?

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

Hi,

Unfortunately if you want to use VOIP you must have the Optus supplied modem in the mix. Here I assume the modems are talking and the signal getting decoded etc. @pwright might have a different take on it though.

You can check your NBN date and type at the NBN checker

The access point suggestion is a good one. You could also investigate some of the new MESH routers that various companies provide (3 for say $400) that blanket you home in a single wifi zone. However its still cheaper to do the access point and just connect into that modem as needed in your room.

Peter Gillespie

Andrew8429

Thanks Peter.  My modem is the Netgear unit - I've always thought I needed to keep that - it is also the unit that my VOIP phone line plugs into.  Which means that other unit...the Sagemcom unit is, for my set up at least, the router and nothing more  And so from what I am reading if I want to change routers I can.  Just always keep the Netgear modem in place. 

All of that said, I think I need to better explore the access point option.  So plug an access point into a switch that is plugged into the ethernet point in my study - which in turn connects to a bigger switch that is connected to the Netgear modem at the other end of my home.  

Andrew8429

Oops. Slight correction to my last post.  The last sentence should read:

So plug an access point into a switch that is plugged into the ethernet point in my study - which in turn connects to a bigger switch that is connected to the Sagemcom Router [not Netgear modem] which is of course connected to my Netgear Router both located at the other end of my home.  

petergdownload

Sounds @pwright had it right then. That should work. Not sure on the need for switches though. your modems (and the new one you want to buy should have several cable ports at the back. Similarly most access point modems should have wired options at the back. You just need to connect the two via a single cat5-6 cable that goes through thewall plugs you now have.

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
73 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
27 Kudos