Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Rock bottom speeds: a techician who blames cabled slowness on the WiFi channel & more

bmstenner117

Hi Everyone,

I was going to call Optus cable support but figured I would be going in circles as I've spent plenty of time on the forum recently looking at how others handle issues with their cable service and I am hoping to have some success here, if you like, grab a cup of {insert beverage here} as it's quite a read.

I have just joined the unlimited plan home entertainment bundle with FetchTV, my previous plan (2+ years old was the 300gb with the extreme speed pack). I have usually enjoyed 90mb+ speeds, some days it falls down to 10mb+ (maybe congestion related) but recovers shortly (hours often) after -no need to complain.

I called up on the 8th June and  advised the helpdesk tech I had been receiving atrocious speeds (between 5mb and 1mb down) an the connection was largely unusable but it did work slowly at times since the 6th June (Saturday afternoon) - the helpdesk listened to what I had done to resolve the issue on my end, being;

• Turn WiFi off, connect a single pc via a Cat6 cable and test the speed with only one PC connected. No change
  • Connect a 2nd pc using the above method to ensure it wasn't a faulty computer Operating system or LAN card. No change
  • Try a different Coax cable. No change
  • Reboot the modem several times. No change
  • Reset the modem to factory default. No change
  • Tried different MTU's, 1323, 1472 (fragment test shows this one's perfect, apparently) and 1500 as well as the factory default of 0. No change
  • Test the speed at different times during the day using speedtest.syd.optusnet.com.au and OOkla's direct speed test. Speeds remained consistently low and at times the speed test site was unreachable
  • Try a different cable modem (I have a spare Netgear CG3000, also tried resetting it), I currently use the Cisco variant - It would gain network access and was slow. No change
  • Another note: I noticed the Cisco modem voltages fluctuating often, could be normal but I noticed some of the figures would go from 7-8v to 0.1-2v
  • Another note: Often the (even when doing a maintenance reboot) modem has to be turned off and back on several times (even unplugged from mains power) to get a working connection, the modem status is "operational", has a public IP and voltages in the web portal but makes a loud buzzing noise

The helpdesk tech agreed to send an onsite technician and booked a time with me, the tech arrived today (10th June).

On the day the speeds moved to 29mb from 5:21am onwards (I have screenshots to show this as well as the modems power levels) and continued to have good speeds up until now.

The technician spent 15 minutes on site and used our iPad to connect to the network, he read my list above and insisted the issue was wifi related (can't understand how this relates to a Cat6 cable) and the connection was not working as expected due to the WiFi channel being "non standard" (it's Ch 8) which was done by myself to move the WiFi  SSID away from neighbourly interfering WiFi units and has been working fine for months without issue.

The technician wrote a list of "standard WiFi channels" being 3, 6, 9 and 11, he did nothing else and left. The technician was polite and respectful.

I had requested the tech have a look at the splitter box under the garages architrave and make sure it had not gone rusty, waterlogged, mouldy or who knows - he continued to blame the WiFi channel without further action.

Now, you may say why am I complaining still? Well, I am confident there is an underlying problem here which will return and I am keen to resolve it now. I had a tech attend on site years ago who didn't want to have a bar of the above "troubleshooting" and replaced the coax wall socket - at least he looked at the physical side and things improved gradually.

Suggestions?.

Many thanks for reading,

Brendan

Re: Rock bottom speeds: a techician who blames cabled slowness on the WiFi channel & more

bmstenner117
Quick note - it fell to pieces

Temperature related?

FetchTV unwatchable, buffering constantly

Speed 1-3mbps for the last 3.5 hours, I've tested it multiple ways and times

Re: Rock bottom speeds: a techician who blames cabled slowness on the WiFi channel & more

bmstenner117

Optus moderators - why is there no reply?

optususer12345

IT can't be weather related. The problem starts at exactly 3:30pm goes away at 12:30am

bmstenner117

So what are we going to do about it ? :-)

Hollie

Sorry for the delay in responding Brendan - we've been flat chat lately. If you have the fault reference number handy for the first service call I'll have a look into this further and see if we can get this escalated and get a tech out there to investigate further.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

bmstenner117
Hi Hollie, thanks for your reply

Ref no is 13249129

Hollie

No problems,

Just had a chat with my Networks team about this one and I can confirm that the CMTS/NODE you're connected to is currently experiencing some peak time congestion. This has been scheduled for an upgrade by the end of July 2015 (subject to change). Really sorry for the different information you've been given but I can confirm that this would be why you're experiencing slower speeds during peak times.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

bmstenner117
Hey Hollie,

Thanks for the update.

I imagine I can cancel the service and return the hardware with minimal fuss?

I would not expect to pay an exit fee as Optus is not providing the service I am paying for.

Please let me know

Many thanks
Solution

Hollie

Heya!

As there is an upgrade scheduled in the near future I'd suggest chatting with our techs about your options - we may be able to provide some kind of credit for the service until the upgrade takes place - these are assessed on a case by case basis so best to chat with them about that as they can have a look at all the options. Give them a buzz on 131344 and they can assist you further.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
76 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
29 Kudos