Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Occasional Contributor thepewa
Occasional Contributor

Riverton / Shelley WA Slow ADSL Speeds / Drop Outs

Hi,

I would like to know, if recently there are any reported issues with ADSL speeds in Riverton / Shelley WA 6148.

Of the past few weeks now, we have been getting continuous drop outs (on average 10mins) and have called tech support for slow speeds a number of times, for the system to just suddenly begin working again and then drop out again.

Our modems are syncing fine (at 14494/812 - although the 812 is questionable - why not 1024 like everybody else)? However, the internet is painfully slow, with website failing to load, netflix failing to work, etc., etc.

This makes it impossible for us to undertake any works from home which is within the course of our jobs.

NBN says it will be available to us within 5 months, but I'm questioning the viability of paying for this substandard service for the next 5 months.

Can you please get someone to investigate and respond?

We were convinced to come to Optus from IInet where we'd been for a long time, and long story short it has not been smooth sailing to date.

Has anyone else been having these issues?

Appreciate any advice / assistance.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RetiredModerator AlexRH
RetiredModerator

Re: Riverton / Shelley WA Slow ADSL Speeds / Drop Outs

Hey there, not good to hear that you've had some trouble with your service of late 😞 

I can't see anything flagged in the area currently, is it something you've previously raised with our Faults team?

If not, can you please check out our troubleshooting guide here?

If this doesn't help, please get in touch with our Faults team via Live Chat here so we can take a closer look at what's going on. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi

The problem we have is it is so intermittent.

We have reported the problem a couple of times when it was clear our sync dropped to around 2mbps but then it just suddenly comes good again and syncs back at 14mb. The latency is still there and had never gone away, we cannot complete a speed test because the upload always fails.

I've tried to get someone in chat and they never connect and when I tried to call the other weekend I was told wait times in excess of 1.5 hours and that my call probably wouldn't be answered.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Each time the service drop outs, it's left as a time stamp with a description code i.e. session timeout, admin reset, Network access server error. 

Do the dropouts correlate to any outside event, i.e. severe weather, electric timers, light sensors etc?

Most common household appliances share the same frequency as your modem. It could be worth changing your WiFi channel settings.

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony-Knowledge/How-to-change-your-Wi-Fi-channel-and-....

I'd suggest plugging the modem directly into a PC or Laptop via Ethernet. I'd keep it connected for a day or two and see how it goes. 

Intermittent issues can be hard to diagnose. It's always best to reach out when you're experiencing the issue live. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for that. It's nothing to do with the wifi - I can ping and access devices on the local network 192.x.x.x fine, it is the external connection that keeps dropping out.

I ran a speed test on my PS4 this morning because it wouldn't connect to PSN, and it was reporting 7.5mbps download but failing on upload again (my ps4 is hard wired, no wifi). I think it is overall an upload issue as internet traffic requires both send and receive to make a link, is there any way to boost the upload or check the upload connection as it seems very slow even for 7.5mbps. we are using our phones tethered mostly for mobile connections as the internet is too unreliable.

Currently we are able to stream Netflix ok, selecting another title takes forever (which again leads me to believe it is an upload issue) but when streaming is ok.

I appreciate your assistance.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Also,

My modem is reporting 2.5 hours since the last drop out, so it's not always 10mins.

Incidentally, I'm not using the sagemcom brick that was issued by Optus as it was rubbish and locked up every 12 hours requiring a power cycle. I have a netcomm left over from my iiNet connection that I'm using. 

Justa side note is that we never had these problems with iiNet, we had some isolated issues with drop out but they were isolated due to a faulty connection in a pit outside our house. 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

We advise of average off peak speeds of 20 Mbps down / 820 Kbps up. Netflix has an open connect program with a focus on Netflix traffic localisation. They've deployed measures to localise substantial amounts of traffic with Open Connect Appliance embedded deployments.

That essentially allows ISPs to cache locally. Speeds of 5Mbps are enough to view Netflix content in HD.

This should in theory mitigate the need for higher upload speeds. If upload speeds are barely measurable then I can see how this would be a problem not only for Netflix but even general web browsing (after all the request must be initiated before it's downloaded.

We could look at changing your line profile and seeing whether that makes a difference at all. I can also send a referral through to our case management team to run a couple of line tests.

If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that, yes I was using Netflix as an example. This affects our general browsing also.

Please let me know how we get this further investigated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

You're welcome to send us a PM with your account details. I'll need your full name, DOB and account number. Follow the URL below 🙂

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

I'll get back to you as soon as I can. 

0 Kudos