cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Highlighted
New Contributor RippedOff
New Contributor

Revesby garbage internet speed

I get 1.9 Mbps down 0.14 Mbps up (speed tests conducted peak and off peak times past 2 weeks and these were highest)

Tech has been out to the house to check lines, setup, etc. I will say response was fast although nothing came of it apart from sorry nothing I can do lines are too congested.

Don't buy optus internet in this area unless you enjoy staring at loading screens.

Feel like I'm a kid on dial up again

I can deal with a minor decrease in peak hours, this is beyond a joke many people in this area having same issue.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Revesby garbage internet speed

Might help if you said what area (postcode) it is?

Are you on the NBN yet? Do you know when the NBN is due and what technology?

Are you speed testing wired connections to the modem or wifi?

Is the issue the same through out the day or does it get worse at set times (e.g. 7pm-10pm)?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor RippedOff
New Contributor

Might help if you said what area (postcode) it is?

Are you on the NBN yet? Do you know when the NBN is due and what technology?

NBN Due 2019 Fibre to curb afaik

Are you speed testing wired connections to the modem or wifi?

Wired connections no other traffic

Is the issue the same through out the day or does it get worse at set times (e.g. 7pm-10pm)?

Bad during the day even worse during peak times

I work as a network admin, have gone down every avenue for a solution on my end. The last thing I wanted to do was get in contact with Optus notoriously bad customer service and be bounced around between departments all day.

Finally got an optus tech out as it's not my property figured their could be hardware issues and all that was suggested is "The lines are over congested can you wait for NBN"

Not looking for advice; although your time is appreciated, attempting to save others in area wasting their money.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Friend...even WHEN you get the NBN you may still face congestion during the evening peak.  I'm on HFC NBN.  On my old cable service I got speeds of 92/25 (I was on the old speed pack) all day every day on my ethernet-tethered PC.  Then along comes the NBN.  I have a new 100/40 Fusion pack...whoopee!  It works just fine (except for periodic dropouts...not a line fault...checked) with great speeds from 11pm to 7pm the following night.   From 7pm to 11pm each night my speeds drop from around 85Mbps down to 2 Mbps!  TWO!  I've even had times where the speed has dropped to ONE Mbps!  And after bouncing around the Optus "help" service and Customer Relations Group I find out that the problem is CONGESTION!  Congestion on a brand new network!  Why?  Did our friends at Optus buy enough bandwidth from the NBN?  Maybe NOT!!!

So, mate, good luck.  Don't go thinking that the NBN is a magic cure-all just yet.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the feedback then. It does look like a pretty populated area. NBN suggests it will only be a year before FTTC is available so fingers crossed on that. At this stage it appears the telcos are not doing much to fix existing issues (if its not an easy fix). All I could suggest is just putting in a complaint and requesting a tech - the next one you get might be more effective.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Top Contributors