Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
For Australian Bushfire info please click here
Highlighted
New Contributor yc18_home
New Contributor

Retrieving messages on my home phone mail box

Just asking the community for some help.

My home phone line for the fixed phone has not been connected for about 4 years.  However, I just rang my home number to find that it will still ring and a voice comes on to say that this is the mailbox of "said number" then a beep with nothing after.  I am assuming that a message is being left? Maybe?

I don't think I ever set an official voice mailbox message with optus to start with as we had an answering machine attached (yes I know it is old school), so never needed the use of optus mailbox.. But now I'm just wondering if there has been messages left, and I haven't know.

I've tried calling the 133 321 number, added wanting to retrieve messages on my mobile, and put in my full home number then # to then be told by an automated voice that I need to set up a voicemail from the fixed line.  Funny, I don't have the fixed line connected at this moment (renovations about to start). 

How can I find out if there actually is messages or not?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Retrieving messages on my home phone mail box

That number more than likely now belongs to someone else, it would have been made available to be given out to a new customer probably after 6 months after you cancelled the service (the typical quarantine period).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hi yc18_home,

Based on what you have described, if it has been disconnected for 4 years then it is highly unlikely receiving voicemail messages. 

I believe unsaved messages are only stored for 7 days.

The automated message suggests it needs to be provisioned by Optus (when it's connected).

Set Up & Voicemail Options - Fixed Phone

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor yc18_home
New Contributor

Ok, thank you. That makes sense that messages are deleted after 7 days.  I don't remember setting up a voice mailbox initially anyway, so I'm not sure if there is a recording after people call, because there is still time allocated to make a voice mail after the dial tone.

My service hasn't been disconnected as I still have internet and fixed phone as part of my service, and I'm still paying for the both.  The telephone will be reconnected again after renovations. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Ah right that makes sense, thanks for the clarification. First day back from holidays so I read "has not been connected" as disconnected 🙊 

All the best with the renos!

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos