Searching...
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Replacing Sagemcom

MMoss

I've recently hooked up with NBN, somewhat of a painful process but am almost there.

I've been able to daisy-chain the Sagemcom Modem/Router with my Netgear Router via an ethernet port on each device ... no drama and wifi through Netgear working fine.  Turned off Wifi on Sagemcom but still have the NBN Internet cable going connected and the telephone line.  Problem is that the NightHawk app for Netgear, doesn't find the Netgear Router, as it did when using Netgear router in place of Sagemcom.  I'd rather not use the Sagemcom at all but haven't been able to find a replacement modem/router that has the necessary phone-port.  Many of the capabilities for phone VOIP but can't find one that has the ability to accommodate my standard RJxx phone IN connection so Ian continue to use home phone as previously done before NBN connection.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a work-around or an alternative modem/router that's successfully replace the Optus provided Sagemecom?

Thanks,

Michael

Re: Replacing Sagemcom

[ Edited ]
petergdownload

If you have a FTTP or HFC NBN connection you can put a switch at the top instead of daisy chaining. Plug all three cables into the switch. One to the wall, one to the NetGear WAN port and one to the SegeCom WAN port. Make sure Sagecom isn't acting as a DHCP service. Should be able to keep both devices (and the app) happy.

Peter Gillespie

MMoss

Hi Peter,

I do have HFC NBN.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Let me make sure I'm clear on what you're suggesting.  The Swith has a bunch of what look like ethernet ports.  I currently have the WAN port on the Sagecom connected to the NBN Box port and then one of the LAN ports connected to the NetGear LAN port.  WAN port on NetGear is currently empty.  When you say 'One to the Wall', what are your referring to specifically?  

Thanks for any clarifications.

Cheers,

Michael

petergdownload

The 'wall' is the NBN Box port. You've been daisy chaining. (NBNBox => Optus WAN => Netgear LAN) . I'm suggesting you branch

NBNBox => Switch => Optus WAN

NBNBox => Switch => Netgear WAN

That means both modems are essentially operating as WAN devices (both plugged into the switch and the switch plugged into the NBNBox.

Peter Gillespie

MMoss

Thanks Peter.  Clear now, I'll give it a shot after picking up a Switch tomorrow.

Wondering if I'll have performance degridation or other overlap IP issues but I really appreciate your suggestions and will give that a try and report back on this BLOG.

Cheers,

Michael

MMoss

Peter,

My Netgear Router (AC2300) does not have a WAN Port.  Only an internet and 4 x LAN ports.  Other than getting a different router, so you have any further suggestions?

Thanks

Michael

petergdownload

What model do you have (2300 is the wifi speed)?

Are you able to get your network fully up and running if you just use the Netgear (i.e. remove the Sagecom completely)

I'm suspecting your best option is probably just to do without the Phone App. Its a nice to have but unlikely to be used much once you are set up? Otherwise a new modem might be needed.

Peter Gillespie

Solution

MMoss

Peter,

All sorted ... didn't realise I could use my Internet port as the WAN port as well.   Helps to RTFM from time to time. Smiley Happy

All working now ... home phone on, Nighthawk/Netgear App working, Wifi speeds all solid ... happy!  

Thanks very much ... awesome help!

Michael

petergdownload

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. I did suspect that might be the case given you seem to have had the unit running on WAN before possibly.

Happy trails

Peter Gillespie

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
78 Kudos
68 Kudos
52 Kudos
41 Kudos
26 Kudos