cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Replacing Cable Modem & five day network outage in Sydney

So far I've been unable to get Optus to agree to replace broken modem. After a quick thunder storm Saturday afternoon 20/October 2018 and nearby lightning strike my Optus Cable Modem - Netgear CG3000-2STATUS has a dead ether-port-1 and does not attempt to provide DHCP on any of the other three ether ports; so even if it were able to connect to Optus (which is unknown), it is unable to talk to anything on my side of the modem. i.e. as a routing device it's dead.

I rang Optus whose person refused to log any problem with the modem and insisted I was not allowed to log a brokem modem because all the techs were busy trying to bring their network back online (Strathfield NSW), and that they would SMS or call me when the network was operational. After hearing nothing for seven hours I rang and Optus said their network was still down but they would log my issue as a service-request instead of authorising a replacement and the only time this week that any service person is available is Thursday allegedly between 9 and 12. - Is there any way of getting a more timely resolution?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Replacing Cable Modem & five day network outage in Sydney

Sounds like things were in a bit of dissarry that night at Optus. FWIW customer service don't have a great track record of 'getting back'  so I would recommend always finalising what you can and following up yourself soon.

Note that it doesn't sound like Optus are obligated to fix or replace your modem. Same as if it had been stolen, a lightning strike is definite bad luck but generally you would need to buy a new modem and it would be covered by insurance possibly.

You can possibly get a new modem sent out at once if you want to pay for it. You could also use most other modems if you can borrow one or perhaps ask the IT department at work as they tend to have them lying around?

Otherwise, four days to get someone out is probably a pretty quick response.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I disagree. If Optus had legally sold the equipment to me that might be true but it hasn't, I contracted for a service not the purchase of Optus propriety or labelled hardware; Optus can not legally evade liability by exploiting ascendency to coerce people to pretend they have liability for a product &installation of Optus's choice & branding. Optus has installed the modem without isolation and in a fashiion so that it is vulnable to foreseeable electrical surges like lightning; the device has failed in a foreseeable fashion and Optus has a liability to continue supplying the agreed service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

I was inclined to disagree (based on general consumer law) but I think contractually you are on solid ground. Optus are indeed selling the service inclusive of a Self Install kit that is not considered "purchased" equipment. So Optus should be happy to replace the SIK if its malfunctioning for any reason. Only challange now (as you've found) is getting them to get a move on.

That said, Optus do have a lot of clauses that remove obligation (financial or otherwise) if an intervening event is the cause of the service disruption. This is defined as:

intervening event is an event outside your or our reasonable control which interferes with the operation of the network we use to supply the service and results in ongoing disruption to the service.  An intervening event includes the following events where those events are outside your or our reasonable control:  failure of any electrical power supply, failure of air-conditioning or humidity control, electromagnetic interference, fire, storm, flood, earthquake, accident, war.

I think lightning strike qualifies unfortunately.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @daeron, sorry to hear about the confusion with your current hardware. There should be no issues replacing your modem however if there is a live outage impacting services in your area it will hinder our technicians ability to troubleshoot your service, connection and assess the hardware. As such we may not be able to replace the modem until the larger network outage is first resolved. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi ,

Your not alone. I am also having the EXACT same issue as your. There is also another customer in Bexley that has this issue. (see here: https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Netgear-CG3000v2/m-p/489752#M53911)

I was running in Bridge mode. Were you also running your modem in bridge mode??

Bridge mode will exclusively use Ethernet port one on these modems. If you were to factory reset your modem (as described in the post linked) ports 1-4 should become active. This should at least get you out of trouble until the tech can get to you.

Good luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

@daeron, could I go in and take a look?

I'll need you to send us a private message. We'll need your full name, DOB and account number.

I'd like to get a better understanding of the issue and see if there's anything I can do to get you back up and running ASAP.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos