cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Renumbered by the council, now I can't order Cable

I've just spent two days talking to Optus running around in circles. Here's my situation which I'm sure will make sense to you guys:

My family have owned a block of land with a rental property on it for years. Lets say the address is 17 Blah St. I've now bought this property from the family trust. Yay me!

17 Blah St had/has Optus cable installed as it was used by one of our tenants for years. A year ago we decided to subdivide the property and renovate the house (the one with Cable). After the subdivision was sorted the council in its infinite wisdom declared that the vacant block behind my house is now 17 Blah St and has renumbered my property to 17A Blah St.

Fast forward to now. The property was renumbered 12 months ago. Optus and Telstra both tell me that the vacant block can get cable, but that the old house can't. Even though its already connected. If I had a cable modem I could plug it in today and off I go.

I've literally spent two days on the phone speaking to a dozen people who can't seem to grasp the fact that 17 has become 17A and that the "new 17" is a vacant chunk of land... with a tree on it. That tree can get cable apparently, but I can't. Even though the cable comes in from the street, terminates in an Optus box, goes up to my living room to an Optus labelled coaxial wall plate.

Is anyone aware of a number I can call or someone I can speak to in order to end this crazy "Computer says no!" loop I'm stuck in? I just need a real person to understand whats going on and fix the system before I'm driven insane.

HALP!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Renumbered by the council, now I can't order Cable

Optus have a long standing policy of only connecting the main property in a subdivision. Its annoyed a lot of households.

But if you are now 17A then you are not the main subdivision anymore.

Have you tried Telstra? Otherwise you'll need to wait for the NBN.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that, my problem is that its already hooked up, I have an outlet in my living room so theres no need to do any work, I just need the cable modem.

Its also the only one of the two with street frontage so the block behind me has no hope of ever getting cable without NBN.

NBN rollout is due any time now. I have a notice saying the install will happen between March and August however given that I work for an ISP its impossible for me to live without a hard-wired connection. It literally just is a matter of "computer says no" with them.

Telstra are reviewing the situation, but that could take months knowing them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Why don't you just sign up 17 blah st? If you already have the connection etc they won't send a tech out just a new modem and away you go. Bills can come via email and once everything is up and running, you can call and tell them your billing address is 17a just to be safe. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not represent Optus. The views, opinions and advice expressed in my posts are my own
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Just a quick follow-up. I managed to get onto an Optus rep on here who performed a site survey and has now corrected the error. Cable is being connected tomorrow 😄

Highlighted
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Tontsekz, great to hear 🙂

Thanks for the update! If anything else comes up, you're more than welcome to reach out to us here. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

That is awesome @Tontsekz

Its timely common sense customer orientated action like that that definitely wins a company praise.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos