cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question

Yes Crowd will close and be redirected to Help & Support on the 1st November 2021. Thank you to every member who has made this community such a helpful and supportive place for customers and staff to interact to help serve along with improve our products and services. You will be missed.

dmcrobbie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Remove unwanted cable

I am receiving text messages from Optus asking me to fill in a form to have unwanted internet cable removed from my house. I cannot find a form. Where is it?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jono_YC

Re: Remove unwanted cable

HI @dmcrobbie it's not great to hear that you're having issues removing an unwanted cable.

If you’re still needing a hand, we recommend messaging us via the My Optus App. Our team is available 24/7 and are ready to assist customers as quickly as possible.

We're also available to assist via Social Media. Please send us a private message to Optus on Facebook or a DM on Twitter with the details for further assistance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.

0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Did you discuss removing the cable with Optus prior to getting those texts? If not, its very unusual for Optus to initiate a contact regarding cable removal and could potentially be a scam.

I'm curious about that message. Can you provide the exact text message here (minus any personal info)?

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Agreed @YetAnotherAcc.

Possibly with lots of the Optus network now fully decommissioned there's a proactive attempt to start disconnecting but I'd have though this will be done en-masse. Seems like a scam.
0 Kudos
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

If it wasn't customer initiated then I would expect it to be en masse as well as that will be far cheaper. And because they only need to enter the property and not the home the need for the customer to complete a form just seems too dodgy.

I would  expect them to send a letter telling the customer they are doing it on xxx date(s) and the means to object if the customer doesn't want them to enter the property at that time.

0 Kudos
dmcrobbie
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks for responding to my query. I live in a duplex townhouse and the cable in question comes in through my neighbour's wall, then through his roof space into my house. I now have NBN, which uses a different connection. My neighbour, actually a new owner, has done extensive renovations to his property and asks about removing the redundant cable. I contacted Optus by 'phone and received an assurance from a very amiable and helpful young woman that the cable would be removed on 16 December, but nothing happened. I also received a text saying the Optus team would arrive and do the deed, but again nothing happened.

After Christmas I'll have another go by telephone and see if something happens. Many thanks for your  suggestions and offers of help.

0 Kudos
Ness_YC

We apologise for the runaround, @dmcrobbie, and appreciate that you are planning on getting in touch with us via phone again after Christmas. We have an Overhead cable removal Support Page with a few more details. Our Support Channels via phone and the My Optus App will be able to follow-up with the relevant teams and request again for the removal of the cable in question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and if you see something that was helpful to you or the rest of the community, giving a Kudos is only a click away.