Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
RichardAM
New Contributor
New Contributor

Relocation to new built house

I am moving across town from a rental (fibre to the node) to a new built house (fibre to the premises).

The new house has the NBN connection box fitted and the power and optical lights are green.

I haven't yet got a new modem from Optus so I tried my existing one (Sagecom 3864V3). All goes well (internet light is green) but no device will connect to a web page (I tried wifi and ethernet). Windows diagnostics says that there is a problem connecting to the DNS server, and I note that the DSL light on the modem is off (no light).

I think this means that the modem is not configured for the new house Fibre to the Premises. Do I need to wait for Optus to provide a new modem or can the existing one be reconfigured?

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Relocation to new built house

@RichardAM wrote:

I am moving across town from a rental (fibre to the node) to a new built house (fibre to the premises).

Have Optus notified you that the service at the new address has actually been activated?

I haven't yet got a new modem from Optus so I tried my existing one (Sagecom 3864V3).

That modem will work perfectly fine for FTTP. Have you tried all the UNI-D ports on the FTTP  Box? Normally you need to use UNI-D1, but your service may have been activated on one of the other lines for some reason.

Windows diagnostics says that there is a problem connecting to the DNS server

Checking DNS servers (i.e. looking up a domain name) is how it test for an active internet connection.

the DSL light on the modem is off (no light).

As it should be. The 3864 should be plugged into the FTTP box via its WAN port and not the DSL port like it was with FTTN.

I think this means that the modem is not configured for the new house Fibre to the Premises.

If you are connection via the 3864's WAN port and it does not work then is most likely that Optus have just not activated the line yet.

So you will need to contact Optus and confirm that that service is active. I'm assuming that they will also know which UNI-D port the service is on.

RichardAM
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Relocation to new built house

The service is due to be activated on 17th jUNE. I rang Optus to ask if it can be activated early. Unfortunately the tech had an accent that I found difficult to understand. I thought he said that he had checked the connection all the way through and that it was active. Maybe he meant something else. If the modem SHOULD work then I will ring Optus again and hopefully get a better communication going.
0 Kudos