cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor Ashman280207
Occasional Contributor

Redirection of optusnet email address to gmail

A friend of mine has redirected her optusnet (pop3) email address to a gmail address.

For the last 2 days, some emails arrive at her new gmail account but most still come in on optusnet.

I have checked her settings in gmail and all looks good.

Is it possible for her to contact optus directly and have them do a redirection?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Crowd Champion caaf
Crowd Champion

Re: Redirection of optusnet email address to gmail

Hi there,

Why not setup gmail to pull/retrieve the emails?

Cheers Dave

Note..This is an open and public support forum please refrain from posting private/personal information. 😉
I’m a Yes Crowd Champion (not an Optus employee). I share my knowledge on Yes Crowd on a voluntary basis. If I answered your question, please mark it as a Accepted Solution. If I helped you out, hit that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Ashman280207
Occasional Contributor

Thanks caaf for your reply.

I have set up the retrieval in gmail. I think I know what is happening. My friend is an elderly lady and she is worried that she might miss an email coming in on her optus email. She continually logs into her optus email and I think while she is logged into it, the incoming emails are not being redirected.

Does this make sense to you. I assumed that once she wanted to "drop"her optus email she wouldn't bother to log into it.

Paranoia is a wonderful thing.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

It is possible I suppose.

I woudl suggest a test. Ask your friend to do the following:

1. Use GMail account through the day.

2. ONCE only at the end of the day log into Gmail 

3. After that log into Optus. See if any emails are missing. 

4. If you do think an email on the Optus server isn't on the Gmail server then:

• GMAIL has tabs to sort content type (Social, Promotions, Main, etc.). It might be easier to diable this feature and set the inbox as a single primary inbox.
  • Also there is a junk/spam folder in Gmail that might be getting some emails so check in there. 
  • Failing that do a word for word search for the email header up the top of the Gmail screen (its very powerful) - you might find the email is somewhere unexpected (perhaps you have don't show unread emails selected? Or Auto Archive?) 

But there shouldn't nrmally be an issue with the redirect. If you get it sorted make sure you tell her to start using the gmail address for accounts and telling other people it. 

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor 67Grebest
Occasional Contributor

So redirection of your Optus emails can be redirected to a gmail account. ?
I am closing my account shortly with Optus and have started a new email address with gmail and would like any of my Optus emails still coming thru to be redirected to my new gmail account.. can this happen and if so will it still happen once my Optus account is closed . Who do I set it up with.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Its all done within GMail. Check SETTINGS > ACCOUNTS and IMPORTS options. You can import all current Optus emails and then also get any new ones automatically as they come. The emails also stay on the Optus server. You will lose access to all Optus Emails when the account closes.

Peter Gillespie
Occasional Contributor 67Grebest
Occasional Contributor

Thank you. I will shift them all to my gmail acc..
0 Kudos