Searching...

Re: Recent Slow Internet Speeds

Jax_K

@six8six, apologies this has been ongoing for you Smiley Sad If our techs have no further info on capacity upgrades it might be worth chatting to them about your options from here. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

[ Edited ]
muzzah

Perceived steady decline in speeds over last year for 100mbps cable service in Fairfield on south side of Brisbane, connected to Rochedale 9 exchange. Acute problems lately at all times of the day, e.g. 1.45 Mbps on a download test http://testmy.net/db/EqyO5BUdk at 4am this morning. It's not much better on the Optus Sydney intranet test and would be a bit better on ethernet connection but I'm a few meters away from the frequently reset router and it's still in the wrong ballpark.

Some communication from Congestion team in Melbourne and then Case Resolution team in Sydney over the past fortnight, but I am afraid it is all very polite, non-specific waffle about "increased usage in your area at peak hour" and "we'll let you know when upgrades are happening".

I have set an automatic test with testmy.net and am getting close to the point that I will pay proportionately based on actual service until my contract expires.

Please get your act together and don't force me back to Telstra!

Hollie

Hey @muzzah

More than happy to discuss your account and options moving forward however without an agreement in place to have a discount on the bill I would encourage you to pay the full amount due as failure to do this may result in late payment fees and potential suspension of the service.

If you can PM me your full name, DOB & Internet username or home phone number I'm more than happy to have a look into this for you and chat about your options moving forward.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

muzzah

Thanks Hollie, have been away but will PM now. I am glad that my intention to pay proportionately to performance has prompted a renegotiation of what is clearly a broken contract.

Graph of over 20 automated tests from my laptop always with a strong wifi signal not far from router over the last week by testmy.net is at:

http://testmy.net/compID/101087661731

averaging 1.4mbps both ways. 

(the max 9.6mbps upload speed is a complete outlier - I have never seen or experienced any more than 1.6 or so, anyway it has never before got to the advertised 2mbps, but the main concern now is abysmal download speeds on a 100mbps service.)

muzzah

Hollie, I posted my details a couple of days ago, still looking forward to hearing from you. In the meantime, it seems speeds are so slow we can't even get catchup TV on Fetch box.

Hollie

Heya @muzzah,

I have received your info but have been flat chat, I'll respond as soon as I have had a look into it further.

[ Edited ]
muzzah

I look forward to hearing a proposal, or realistic options. In the meantime I have cancelled our direct debit. Payment was due today but I'm sorry, I am simply not going to keep paying full whack for 5% of the contracted download speed. It's not fair, reasonable, necessary or sensible.

muzzah

Pending resolution I have paid $50, about half the usual bill, which is demonstrably generous given the abysmal speeds and the apparent impact on the Fetch performance also,not to mention the switch of Fetch boxes we went through with total loss of service for a week or more, not to mention my time and trouble which greatly outweighs any few dollars Optus is being underpaid.

I look forward to hearing as soon as possible.

[ Edited ]
six8six

1:30 in the afternoon and my line speed is around 3mbps (ADSL2+. Usual speeds outside peak are 12mbps). But no one is usually home to make use of the faster speeds outside peak, so what's the point?

When our internet turns to crap:

• 4pm - 12:30am weekdays,
  • 9am - all day/night weekends
  • 9am - all day/night weekdays/weekends on school holidays

That's pretty much 3 years now since we've had congestion in our area, and Optus have done nothing, NOTHING to fix this. Though I'm sure they've added more and more customers to the network, all about those $$$. I don't know how they get away with this. Especially in a fairly large suburb like mine, clearly I'm not the only one in the area suffering from congestion.....

And they're 'only' giving us a $20 monthly discount. Ridiculous. Sure I could go elsewhere but I don't have many options here who would be any better, and Telstra are too pricey for what we want.

To make matters worse, the completion of NBN in our area has been delayed a few months. Fantastic! Yep, just keep waiting for it to be ready Optus, that way you don't have to spend a cent fixing anything here.

Get your act together, you make Dodo look premium!!! Just look at Whirlpool, it's full of similar stories to mine.

Highlighted

muzzah

3mbps is well above the average we are getting lately for a "100mbps service"!!

See http://testmy.net/quickstats/muzzah

And Optus continues to advertise availability of high speed cable in our street, indeed for our address, while "offering for us to seek another provider". When I said I would pay in proportion to the service received - which would be about $5/month they said they'd waive the bundle charge for two months while I sought another provider. 

My position is simply that they should perform to the contract and have the the resources to do it.  

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
84 Kudos
80 Kudos
68 Kudos
35 Kudos
34 Kudos