cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor SteveReaver
Occasional Contributor

Really, really slow Cable Internet

Firstly I am not on NBN, secondly I am a network admin with over 20 years expereince..... my Optus cable service used to be fast, However latley it has slowed to a crawl at all times of the day. Netflix still works, barely, however Stan and Optus's own Fetch TV really struggle and often just give up saying there is not enough bandwidth to work. Ookla Speedtest rarely reads over 10Mbps, and my Ookla history show speed tests at this time last year over 60Mbps. And forget about M-Lab that reads about 2Mbps !

I've done all the suggested fixes;

• Turn WiFi off, connect a single pc. No change
  • Connect a 2nd pc using the above method to ensure it wasn't a faulty computer Operating system or LAN card. No change
  • Try a different Coax cable. No change
  • Reboot the modem several times. No change
  • Reset the modem to factory default. No change
  • Tried different MTU's, 1323, 1472. No change

In addition I use Untangle firewall which tells me exaclty my network activity, and even with no other devices active the speed is still horrible. When I get a chance I will run Smokeping and CACTI to get some stats. 

I am in the Eastwood area, are there currently any networks issues or perhaps planned upgrades ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Occasional Contributor CharlieWu
Occasional Contributor

Re: Really, really slow Cable Internet

Hey Steve, I'm having the same issue, I'm in Beverly Hills.  I think internet slows down dramatically between 5PM and 11PM, which most people get's home and start use internet.

I'm getting around 5-10 MB/s around those time.  It's totally unaccpetable.  If you call tech support, you are going to be in queue for 30 mins

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Hugelolcat
Occasional Contributor

I have a similar issue (https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/Internet-problems-and-ridiculous-Optus-support/...)

I'm in West Ryde and it was fine till earlier in January. Google Wifi (which does speed tests automatically) tells me it was around Jan 5th when speeds started going downhill, with Fetch TV picture quality being the most obviously affected.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey guys, I'm more than happy to check whether there are any planned upgrades on the horizon. From my end the search fields are limited to the CM MAC, MTA MAC, Username, DN, NODE ID or IP Address. Based on the number of tests undertaken on your end, it does sound like bandwidth utilization/available capacity is to blame. At the same time, I'll have a scroll through your service report and confirm RF level & transmit are within spec.

You're all welcome to send through a private message with your account details → http://yesopt.us/pmdan. I'll respond back as soon as I can. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor SteveReaver
Occasional Contributor

Just since Sunday the speed has improved dramatically!! Ookla showed 101.96mpbs for one test that I did. Even last night at around 6pm it was showing 96mpbs (while both kids where on YouTube) so whatever the issue was has been fixed. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors