Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Random ADSL2 disconnections.

Hello all,
I have been suffering random disconnections from the internet that require a modem power cycle and a bit of wait for several minutes until everything is back up and connected again.

I live in the Brisbane CBD and noticed the disconnections getting worse of late.

My modem model is a F@ST3864AC modem and it seems up to date as far as the automatic firmware pushes are going.
Current software version is "8.379_F@ST3864AC_Optus"

Only the Internet is disrupted, the internal network still allows my computers to connect to wifi and LAN and devices can talk to one another internally.

I have looked up outages online for Optus fixed connections, but there is never any scheduled work.

I use UptimeRobot over the past few weeks of alerts that I receive when my home webcam no longer connects, therefore when my internet connection has faulted.  There are some times I see that when I am not even home, and it seems to correct itself somehow.  So is this a internal issue?

image.png

It is very frustrating, and seemingly random.  I have searched for any log files, but have been unable to locate any from the device itself.

My landline phone still works when such disconnections happen, and I have double checked all the cables, sockets, filters and the phone RJ11 lead that connects the modem is just over 1.5 meters long as that is the only connection possible since I can neither move the modem, or move the wall socket at this time.

Any advice is most welcome as it often happens as I am trying to play an online game and people are starting to wonder if I am a combat logger.  😉

Thanks in advance,
Vince.
5 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Random ADSL2 disconnections.

Okay, a few things, this "Uptime Robot", is this testing from outside to inside? or inside to outside?

If you look inside your F@ST, it will show the ADSL2 line stats (not packets, but things like Signal to Noise - SNR, Attenuation, Sync rate etc), can you post them here?

Do you use a line filter?

Do you use the home phone? 

If you pick up the home phone and press "1" and listen, is it noisy or clear?

If you remove everything INCLUDING FILTERS from the line and plug just the modem in, do these drop outs continue? If they do, then its potentially a line fault, but without the stats above its hard to say. If it stops, then something plugged into your line is causing your fault, slowly start readding things until the drop outs restart, when they do, you know the culprit.

Do you have a spare modem or can you borrow a friends one to see if the drop outs continue or stop?

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Okay, a few things, this "Uptime Robot", is this testing from outside to inside? or inside to outside?
- Outside to inside, it is a free service that checks port 8088 on my webcam to see if it responds. It also doubles as my 'uptime' monitor.

If you look inside your F@ST, it will show the ADSL2 line stats (not packets, but things like Signal to Noise - SNR, Attenuation, Sync rate etc), can you post them here? - Trying new modem, no stats to show. If the new modem also shows issues, shall reconnect old modem and try get stats as requested.

Do you use a line filter? - Yes

Do you use the home phone?  - Rarely used for calls, but it is connected to the line.

If you pick up the home phone and press "1" and listen, is it noisy or clear? - Very clear, no humming, crackles or pops.

If you remove everything INCLUDING FILTERS from the line and plug just the modem in, do these drop outs continue?
If they do, then its potentially a line fault, but without the stats above its hard to say. If it stops, then something plugged into your line is causing your fault, slowly start readding things until the drop outs restart, when they do, you know the culprit.
- The only things plugged into the phone line is the filter, phone and modem.
- Nothing has physically changed in over 2 years.

Do you have a spare modem or can you borrow a friends one to see if the drop outs continue or stop?
- I got a new NetGear ADSL/BDSL modem router for Christmas, so will be checking on the drop outs if/when they occur.
I still have a suspicion that it may be the latest firmware causing shenanigans on the F@st modem-router.
The disconnections have only been very noticeable the last two months and even then, only happening 20-40 hours apart.  However, no other infrastructure or physical changes have occured in my apartment or building complex.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

You would still have stats regardless of the modem, can you please get them and paste them in here? 

I'm a Yes-Crowd Contributor, not an Optus Employee, and I contribute on a voluntary basis. Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question? Did they share a great tip Please remember to acknowledge their awesomeness by throwing a Kudo and or Accepted Solution their way.
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jeneral,

thank you for the help you have been providing so far.

I think this is what you are asking for?

modem stats.JPG

This is from the new NetGear modem, so I guess it would not have gotten a good set of averages or data yet.

0 Kudos