Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor Lokihanns
New Contributor

Radically incorrect data usage

Hi,

I just opened a mobile broadband account with the new e5786 4G modem and the data usage claims that optus is making are, frankly, ridiculous.

In 6 days since opening the account the claim is that we've used over 6.44 gig, which is amazing considering we have been specifically avoiding streaming any video or making any downloads (aside from 1.5 gig of automatic updates). At the moment the data usage claims are all coming in multiples of 100 megabytes (i.e. 100002kb, 200004kb etc.) and are coming through at weird times. For instance the last interaction on Thursday night was counting at just before midnight, so it should've accounted for everything that night, but then there was another cost of 100002kb at 4am, another 600000kb at 9.34am and another 200004kb at 1.30pm. This is all impossible.  All of the computers in the house were off during this entire period and the only device that would've been connected in any way was my girlfriend's phone that may have got a few emails before she went to work. There is no way that was 900mb of data.

To attempt to alleviate the problem we've let the modem update it's software and I've gone through to lock it to the 4G network (as there was some suggestion on telstra boards that have had the same problem that this might fix it). Unfortunately neither has worked as some light surfing this morning has placed another 190mb onto my bill.

Clearly there is no way that this level of data usage for pedestrian browsing is accurate and I can't afford to pay for 100mb for every 5-10mb of data we actually use.

Has anyone else had this problem with this modem? Is it possible that a replacement modem of the same model might not be so ridiculous in its data usage? Should we be swapping to other hardware until Optus work out how to meter this guy accurately?

Any advice from someone who has resolved this previously welcome.

38 Replies
New Contributor

Re: Radically incorrect data usage

Went through it all again, every night that the modem is left on with no devices connected to it it is going through between 100 and 300 meg between the hours of midnight and 5am.

Today there has been no streaming, no downloading and nothing but a little surfing and it is claiming that we've used over 700mb.

Something is seriously wrong with this modem, what are my options for getting it replaced with one that doesn't produce phantom data?

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Did another test over Saturday night, turned off the modem from when we went to bed until the morning.  That stopped the late night binge. Then I turned on the modem in the morning, looked at a few web pages, then played an offline computer game. The only device that was connected during this period was my pc with automatic updates on everything turned off, logs are as follows:

07:59AMData Usage200002kbs -

07:59AMData Usage3kbs -

07:37AMData Usage14384kbs

It appears the first two are my actual usage, and the last is a random packet of data that the modem is either sending to you guys as EVERY single bit of questionable data is coming in those multiple of 100mb packets.

This is super alarming as those 100mb packets have accounted for 6.4gig of a claimed 7.1 gig used. 2.65gig of that usage is also coming at times when there is no device possibly connected to the modem (due to all devices being physically turned off).

RetiredModerator Pete
RetiredModerator

This is very strange Lokihanns 😕 I can confirm that we bill only for the amount of data being consumed through the device. It might be best to have a chat with our Faults crew on 131344 to investigate further into this device to see what could be consuming the data. Please keep us posted on how you go.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
New Contributor

Still going crazy. Used 600mb yesterday morning at 8.30am before any device was connected. At this point we just have to leave it off. We're currently waiting for a satchel to return the modem and get a replacement to see if that resolves the issue. If it doesn't we'll just have to cancel the account.
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Hollie
RetiredModerator

Hey Lokihanns, please let us know how you go with this. Also I'd recommend updating the WiFi password when you receive the new modem to make sure it's secure. I'd also double check all devices connected to the Network have updated virus protection and perhaps even run a virus scan just to make sure there's not something running in the background that's using the data. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Occasional Contributor smoothpainter
Occasional Contributor

I get exactly the same thing 100002 kbs or 200003 kbs and more did you find out what was up ?

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Hi smoothpainter, have you spoken with our tech support team to investigate this for you? Please contact us on 13 13 44 and we'll be able to run some tests with you.

Generally speaking, we count any data sent to and from the connection, so something on your computer/device is either downloading data or uploading it to the internet. I would recommend doing a virus/malware scan to eliminate that from the equation. Next step would then be to isolate devices, by only having one on at a time and see if the usage continues.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

T have not had time to call and wait for minutes or hours I will phone when I have time but I did ask the other person what happened to him but no reply, not sure if that means he has no reply or no answer to the problem

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Me too 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors