Hey glennnyc1985, did you end up getting this resolved? Did you happen to know what the older plan was? Some of our older plans did have free social media usage included. So usage may have been always been high but the change to the new plan meant that usage is now counted towards monthly quota. Most smart phones do have internal meters to keep track of which Apps have used mobile data or you can install your own data monitoring App. More info here.
Yep, experienced the same thing. I took it to the ombudsman and am about to be released from contract without charge (only two billing cycles in). As of last night, Optus have also said they'll look into my final bill too; due today. I had the same strange, almost rounded, data entries in blocks too ammouting to almost half my claimed data usage. I wasn't able to get Optus to look into this element, however hopefully they will soon!
Check out my post:
Well, it seems this is still going on....I recently signed up for an Optus Mobile Broadband Plan for home, 140GB / $70, its a good deal..had been previously using Telstra and OVO, without issue.
14 days in, I have used 70GB... I am not that surporsed as I have done a few big things, but then I thought about it a bit more and figured that it sounds a bit too much for less than 14 days, so I statred to look online at my usage and what I see is amounts of data every two hours, right on the same minute... some times its only 1 MB, and others its 40 MB... plus I see a 2GB block at a time when we are alseep and everything is off. So, I shut the Wireless down on the Optus modem, disconnected all of my wired devices, so basically, the modem has no users connected.... let it go for 24 hours and then checked the Optus online usage and low and behold, I see activities every two hours for amounts of data, again small amounts, but over 30 days it adds up...So did the unforgiveable, went online chat with Optus and suddenly it was my fault... they tried to tell me this is normal, even if the modem is turned off they say it will use data, come on, I'm a smart IT guy, I know how this stuff works... seems like something off is going on on there side, not mine. I still have a Telstra SIM and OVO SIM (which is Optus) used them both for years in the same modem, don't see it with those SIMS.. so what gives... I'm continuing to check things, but if it continues, I'll cancel my contract and take it to the ACCC if Optus ark up. Its poor form on there part....
Be keen to hear if others are still having this issue.
Hey @mallinss - thanks for reaching out to us. Generally speaking, we can only charge for usage whilst connected to our network. Are you able to send us a PM with your account details, full name and DOB so we can take a further look?
Just wondering if your problem has solved or not? and if yes, how it was solved? I have an exact same problem as what you have described and the worst thing is the data usage is up to 40 GB a day!!. We don't know these data were consumed! Chatted and called Optus numerous times and no solution. They asked us to go to a store to solve it and when we went to a store the staff said they couldn't help. They said it was the router modem problem and they can't look it for me.
I then bought a brand new D-Link 4G router, it cost me $209. I tested and then the data usage is exactly the same. Basically, even I don't do anything on my computer and I can see that the data usage it continuously drains. When I checked my computer internet data usage it only used around 200MB but the Optus usages reported over 2GB. And I only have one single device connected (wifi was not even shared so there was nobody could be possibly connected to my network to use it secretly.)
Last night my 140GB was reported used up (I was not aware of it). and it started to charge us $10 per GB this morning, and even nobody was really using it but it charged $90. I am planning to write a letter to seriously complain about this to the fair trading committee. If any people have the same issue to support the same issue will be good.
Something to add, in case this was a virus problem. I build a brand new operating system using Ubuntu 18 and I am sure it has to be a safe and clean system, I just use it to test the Optus usage and I concluded the usage was same as my windows system. So the virus suspicion can be eliminated. The problem is from Optus side!!!
This never got fixed...it still happens, although the amounts are small, I have two services data sharing now, so I have a total pool of 290GB, so I could not be bothered wasting my time with them trying to explain this away, I'm living with it.
Thanks Steve for your prompt reply and let me know your situation.
Optus is so pathetic. I can only sigh. This disaster has really driven me crazy. As the first 4 months of my service were really not any issue (I only used up to 90 GB of 140 GB) and we haven't really changed any usage pattern. But now I can only merely use 7- 10 days for last 2 months and then shut down the router to protect the overcharge.
Anyway, I might have to do the same as you do to get a second service up and running for the time being. But I will indeed lodge a complain and if no reply I will send this to fair trading NSW.