cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor smoothpainter
Occasional Contributor

Re: Radically incorrect data usage

I think I have found the culprit , I installed mackeeper on my system only to be told it was malware my Mac  when I go to console tells me it's a fragment that has been left on my HD and it refreshes every 10 seconds I have tried to kill it many times but it just appears back , maybe the best I dea is to send my mac to be cleaned professionally 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Are you using a Mac or a P.C. ?

I have a mac and downloaded a programme from Zeobit called Mackeeper it now relaunches every 10 seconds and steals data

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Nghi
RetiredModerator

Thanks for the update smoothpainter. It might be an idea to get that looked at professionally. There might be other things installed and running in the background you aren't aware of. 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The optus yeam kidiots

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

jack

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor slc83
New Contributor

Hi,

I feel like I am having the same problem. 100% know I do not have any wifi devices conencted to my router plus wifi security has not been compromised. Except they is data usage been reported while I am at work.

Did there end up being a solution to your issue?

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
New Contributor napoleon
New Contributor

Hi Smoothpainter. I have the exact issue but I don't have Mackeeper on my laptop. How did you manage the problem?

Amount of data is being stolen is not negligible. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

My guess is that it is something in the background that is either uploading or downloading when you turn on the pc/mac 100002 kb is the norm but I have had 200004 and even the odd 400006 I still have not taken mine to Mac for them to have a look (Lazy)

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Well after looking in console(Mac) and finding heaps of things using cpu and network I went on to various sites to see what I could do but to no avail, finally I went to optus technical they said they would fix it from their end , they shutdown internet for 4 hours to do it .Went back on yesterday and checked my usage .......100002kb's was downloaded 3 times in the space of 6 hours , grrr Back to the drawing board.

I downloaded a programme from internet and it lets me track who is sending/receiving info without my knowledge , Big culprit is Google , if you have installed google earth or chrome you automatically give them consent to send/receive updates and other info they do this with a programme called KSFetch which you can see when you boot up the computer to remove this either go to a forum and seek info or do as I did and download "Little Snitch" 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

See Napoleon's reply that I posted, it may help you too .

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Do you have google earth or chrome running on your computer?

0 Kudos
Top Contributors