Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
New Contributor DK1
New Contributor

Public non nated ip address

Hi All

Interested in the 140GB @$70 a month sim data plan, anyone know if this service has a public ip to enable port forwarding??

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Public non nated ip address

All internet plans come with an IP address. I think you're talking about a static IP address that doesn't change? 

Optus don't offer these on residential plans. You could investigate a service like dyndns that works to the same effect (check in your modem settings and you should see an option to enter a dyndns account)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor DK1
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply Peter, not after static as i already use dynamic dns. The problem with alot of sim plans is they assign you an internal ip within the delaer network which is then routed out to the internet so the ip that your device is assigned is different to the one that is actually seen on web. This is fine for people who are only interested in browsing the web but if your hosting any kind of service on that connection it won't work. Maybe i'll try live chat, haven't had any luck calling different providers, most of the operators i have spoken to don't know what an IP address is 🙂

Cheers

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Ah, thanks for the info.

If it helps any I'n with Optus Cable (non NBN) and use dyndns (and port forwarding) to access my NAS regularly away from home. So that would be a public IP address then.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor DK1
New Contributor

Yes correct, the issue i currently have with another provider is like trying to browse to your nas when your not at home and using its local ip on your network ie 192.xxx.xxx.xxx instead of the ip you get when you use dyndns.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors