Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Problems playing Battlefield multiplayer

Signed up, its almost $10AU a month, ping now at 600, but hey it doesn't disconnect!

waste of money 😕

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hmm, not sure what this means but if it works I'm in.  What's "private internet access" & "adding open VPN to router mean"? Can I get instrustions that a numbskulls like me can understand. I'm sooo missing may BF1!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

I managed to get talking to a supervisor (the agent I initially got was hopeless), and he confirmed the submarine cable issue is the cause. He forwarded me some details -  relevant parts below. I also spoke to their billing department who promised some kind of compensation, but only when the issue is fixed (mid October!).

- This will not cause complete loss of service to any customers.
- This should not cause issues with accessing sites/servers within Australia
- This may cause slower loading of pages/sites hosted overseas, particularly in Asia
- This may cause higher latency/ping for sites/servers hosted overseas, particularly in Asia but also possibly in US or elsewhere due to increased traffic on other links (as traffic is re-routed from the damaged link)
- This will likely drive some calls in from people using gaming servers overseas, whether on PC, XBOX, PlayStation or other.

Engineering and Network team will try to minimise the impact as much as possible through re-routing via alternate links, however this will never be as good as the most direct "path" and so impacts as outlined are inevitable.

This will NOT cause loss of service, and should not prevent any websites from loading, it will only cause slower page loading or download/access speeds and even then mostly only to sites and servers in Asia (the break is on the link between Perth, Australia and Jakarta, Indonesia).
The first opportunity for repair will be Mid-October, and could be further delayed as noted above (weather eg storms, heavy seas etc)
As noted above, we expect gamers will probably be among those to notice any impacts the most.  Unfortunately this is the reality of the situation for Australia since we have no land-based connections to the rest of the World.  We are an Island.  So when an undersea link goes "down", repairs are expensive and time-consuming
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks @JohnnyO for the extensive update - that pretty much matches what I was assuming. It looks like even when playing Battlefield 1 on Australian servers that some information is also sent to overseas servers (possibly user profile information). And that this works some of the time, but at other times the link gets so congested that the game gives up and drops the connection.

However it looks like other ISPs have figured out better alternate routing as it's only people on Optus that appear to be suffering from this specific Battlefield 1 issue, friends on other ISPs are still playing without seeing this issue.

0 Kudos