Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Problems emailing Yahoo (only)

Hi all,

I've had a busy weekend, so haven't had an opportunity to post until just now.  

On Friday night, I noticed that One of the Emails that I'd sent to my Yahoo address arrived.  I then sent another 10 or Emails to my Yahoo address to test it further.  I gave it half an hour and 3 or 4 had arrived, the rest were still missing.  Interestingly, the missing Emails turned up the next day, around 12 hours later.   All of the test Emails actually arrived at my Yahoo address from Friday night.  

I sent 2 test Emails tonight to my Yahoo account (just under 2 hours ago) and neither have arrived as of yet.  I will check tomorrow.  

So, to sum up,. mail now seems to be arriving, albeit with a medium to long delay, which is NOT normal.  Mail should be pretty much an instantenous thing, unless the SMTP mail queue has issues, or the incoming mail server queue has issues.  Test Emails sent to my Yahoo address from my ECN webmail setup arrive instantly, so logic would dictate that it's not Yahoo's incoming mail server that has issues.  

The IP address for Optus' SMTP server that I was seeing in the failure notices (211.29.132.42) is still listed on SORBS and backscatterer.  

I have not had a failure notice now since the 23/11.  

Obvoiusly Optus has either not requested a RBL de-listing, or it is pending.  Can this be confirmed with the level 3 techs please?

I presume Optus is using a different SMTP server to now route mail out, avoiding the RBLs (probably via something like smtproutes et cetera).  Can this be confirmed?  

Even if mail is being re-routed via something like smtproutes, something is still NOT right - the mail delivery delays are NOT normal from  my experience.  For those that question my experience - managing 4 mail servers, every day, for 8 years, should be sufficient experience to have a reasonable judgement on the matter.

Optus has been very slow to acknowledge the issue, and very slow to resolve it.  The mods on the Yes crowd forum have been good, but the techs need to be more communicative imho.  Leaving customers in the dark never results in happy customers from my experiences.

Marliu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Optus has also not notified me of any undelivered mail since 22/11, however, the three test emails which I sent have not arrived in my yahoo mailbox (sent 19/11, 25/11, 29/11). I wonder where these emails ended up? Will they be recovered or are they irretrievable? I think Optus should at least notify their customers that mail is not being delivered so that they can use other means of communication. Only solution for me now is to cease using optus mail if I need to send important messages as it's too unreliable!

dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

In theory, you should get delivery failure notices.  I say theory cos:

a) sysadmins can configure a mail server to NOT issue failure notices (trechnically it's not RFC compliant then, and of course, it'd be terrible service).  

b) failure notices can be configured for X period of time.  Typically, it is set to either 3 or 5 days from  my experience, but a sysadmin who maintains the Email server could set it to 20 days if they really wanted to...

In theory, mail just doesn't utterly disappear.  It'll either get delivered or fail (and as stated above, should issue a failure notice detailing why it failed).  There is really only One way that mail can disappear, commonly referred to techs as going to /dev/null and that is if the MX record for the DNS for the domain in question is incorrectly configured and no secondary MX is present.  note: MX stands for Mail Xchanger.  Most domains, if properly set up with fail safes, will have at least 2 MX records, some even more so.  For example, Yahoo mail has 3 MX records (a main One, secondary and tertiary "backups").  In Yahoo's case, they all have the same priority (10).   For example:

Macintosh:~ melkor$ dig mx @4.2.2.2 yahoo.com.au

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> mx @4.2.2.2 yahoo.com.au
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 25991
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;yahoo.com.au.			IN	MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
yahoo.com.au.		142	IN	MX	10 mta6.am0.yahoodns.net.
yahoo.com.au.		142	IN	MX	10 mta7.am0.yahoodns.net.
yahoo.com.au.		142	IN	MX	10 mta5.am0.yahoodns.net.

;; Query time: 162 msec
;; SERVER: 4.2.2.2#53(4.2.2.2)
;; WHEN: Mon Dec  3 15:42:48 2018

So, we should be seeing either a delivery or failure notice with mail sent to Yahoo, unless Optus is well, removing the failure notice options (very unlikely).

Marliu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

After my last post, I sent another test email to my Yahoo address this morning....it finally popped up in my Yahoo mailbox after 5 hours! Dare I hope that Optus is on its way to restoring mail service with Yahoo and that the time delay will be rectified eventually? However, still no sign of my 3 previous test mails and still no bounce notice for them either...perhaps they will eventually pop up one day...in theory Smiley Wink

Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Messages not received and no bounce with test emails sent yesterday and today. The saga continues......

0 Kudos
Marliu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Same story here...apart form that one solitary email which managed to find it's way to my Yahoo mailbox yesterday, further emails sent (yesterday and today) have not been delivered. I thought Optus was on its way to resolving this issue...but guess not!

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I can sympathise with those that are using Optus email accounts. Yahoo is one of the older main players in the free email market and the lack of progress on this issue is not good Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
twinc
New Contributor
New Contributor

Just another reference point. I spent an hour on the popup chat last night only to be told the problem was fixed. My emails are still being blocked by Yahoo. 

Marliu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Nope...definitely not fixed! And I've found conversations using online chat to be frequently frustrating and misleading, hence Yes Crowd (more helpful & informative imho). This is not the first time Optus mail servers have been blocked and I doubt it will be the last...is this a chronic issue for Optus? Most disturbing! Found this post back in Dec 2017

https://yescrowd.optus.com.au/t5/Broadband-Telephony/mail106-syd-optusnet-com-au-blacklisted/td-p/36...

Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I must say I do vaguely recall having issues a decade ago with Yahoo and Optus and quick search suggests this has happened many times before. The break of mail protocol is the bigger concern to me as no bounced messages leaves you in limbo with no error messages to investigate.

0 Kudos