cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Problems emailing Yahoo & AOL (only)

Yes agree  they should have escalated this matter sooner as they should have been aware of it well before the numerous complaints started rolling in. The problem as pointed out by 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Yes, dpastern mentioned the IP change solution. 

The scale of it may be an issue, but are we the only 3 or 4 users unable to send emails to AOL / YAHOO addresses?

The other solution that has been mentioned, is to an email address that is not reliant on an ISP domain.  After almost 20 years with these ones, I shudder to think of the change required.

AND just as important, Optus need to communicate the subject, both widely and to affected CUSTOMERS, in a TIMELY manner.

It has been a frustrating exercise trying to find tech support contacts with Optus.

Ciao,

Scimitar

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

The IP change suggestion by me is a path of last resort.  Think of it, you have mail going to this server, live, and you're trying to change an IP address on it...mail is gonna go into /dev/null...not a good solution.  My suggestion of smtproute changes is a far better solution.  I'm not sure what Optus is running on their mail servers, at a guess, it's some Linux distro (better hardware support than traditional UNIX, Solaris, BSD, better scalability at a server side than OS X).

There will be more than 3 or 4 users, it's just that most people:

a) won't even know anything has gone wrong

b) won't have the nouse to post on the Optus yescrowd forums.  

c) won't know how to describe the problem

d) have probably rang Optus and spoke to tier 1 support who had no idea about the issue...

NO NO NO NO.  Email addreses are based on domain names.  That is not what anyone has said (as far as I know, and if they have, they are WRONG).  You cannot have one without the other.  For example, you can change the IP address linked to a domain name's WWW sub domain A record (say, to a new hosting server, hosting a new website), and have it propagate live around the world, without having to alter the domain name.  People will see the new website, without having to alter the URL entered.  

The issue is simply the IP address of the SMTP server(s) in question have been caught sending out SPAM by indepedent persons on the web, who have set up RBL servers (anyone can set up a RBL server!).  Email servers subscribe to RBLs (how many, and who they subscribe to is up to the sysdamin who manages said mail server).  If your SMTP server is listed on a RBL that a mail server subscribes to, their mail server will auto refuse incoming mail from it.  Until the RBL in question removes the foreigin SMTP server.  

This system works well, I have no problems with the RBL system. - if it was managed by ICANN etc.  As it is managed by indviduals, who can do what they want, it becomes problematic.  

Now, communication is an issue.  The mods on here have been very good imho, but please remember, they are not generally technical in nature, or the topic of discussion might be beyond their technical knowledge (no offence meant mods!).  The level 1 techs won't have access to the SMTP server etc in question to even do any testing.  The level 2 and 3 techs probably never read these forums - they're too busy doing real work behind the scenes.  I've found that communication becomes a greater issue, the larger the organisation.  For that matter, communication is not straight forward.  Effective commuincation is the comprehenshion of an idea or thought from peraon A to B.  Just saying something to someone is not effective communication.  Many helpdesk technicians suffer from this issue from my personal experiences!

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thank you dpastern, for your summary.  

Yes, email addresses include domains - badly worded.

It comes down to a few simple things:

1. I use Optus email
  2. My email is not getting through to AOL/Yahoo users, as an 'undelivered' advice arrives back, 5 days later (not helpful!!)
  3. I do some simple tests and make calls to confirm 2
  4. I do some searching for a solution 
  5. I then look for Optus Tech Support contacts 
  6. I give up navigating and waiting on their phone system
  7. I try Live Chat, and finally, communicate with a Level 1 Tech Support, giving them specific data re the problem
  8. I am told it is a known issue and given a Ticket # and told I will be advised when it is resolved
  9. Reading the threads here has been informative, if concerning
  10. The forum Mods may not be overly technical, but could/should pick up themes and angst, and delve a little further and pass it up the line, otherwise what's the point?
  11. Has it been escalated to Level 2 or 3?    
  12. I'm not closer to having my (and others) problem resolved - lack of communication.

Good night,

Scimitar

Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Re: Problems emailing Yahoo (only)

I'm having the same problem.

I have had 3 people send from their optus email to my yahoo email, that I haven't received. Only 1 received an error/bounce, 5 days later.

I have sent numerous test emails from my optusnet email to my yahoo email. NONE received & NO errors/bouncebacks from optus.

All of this tech talk is beyond me. I should need to find 'work-arounds' just to receive emails.

Optus & Yahoo...    PLEASE FIX THIS !

Highlighted
Blog Author

A note was left on the ticket earlier this morning: 

There has been spam floods originating from a telecom in South Africa. He's blocked some of their IP ranges, & is continuing to monitor deliveries to yahoo.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Scimitar

My emails to Yahoo started failing on 12 Nov, but not all failed to a specific address. I also noticed several emails to non yahoo addresses remained in my outbox. I cleared the outbox and could resend those emails; it was as if one of the outbox emails was blocking the queue.

My standard email tablet app is Samsung Email, but because of the Yahoo problem I configured Gmail app & thought that my outbox problem was caused by having 2 email apps, but maybe that's not the case.

I found though, that after  rebooting  about 5 emails to yahoo were successful, but then they started to bounce again. 

Frustrating..... 

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan.  Here's hoping ........

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry Dan, not trying to be rude, but I'm not buying that.

The only way that this could happen is if the person in South Africa is directly using an Optus IP address.  Or, is VPN tunnelling (or SSH/RDP) into a computer using an Optus IP address.  Or, has cracked either into Optus' SMTP server, or another computer using Optus as a network provider and is using said computer(s) to SPAM out via Optus' SMTP gateway.  

Blocking said external IP addresses is only part of the solution - my guess someone's server has been cracked and you really should be taking it up with the owner to have them remove their device from the Optus network.  

Have the affected Optus IP addresses had a request made with the RBL(s) to have them de-listed?

edit: why was my previous post (from last night) removed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Yup, having this issue as well. Starting 10 Nov. Just to add a knew voice to the clamour, Optus please fix this ASAP! Thanks.

0 Kudos