Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Problems emailing Yahoo (only)

twinc - whoever told you that in chat support should be given the door.   The 211.29.132.42 IP address is still listed in SORBS and backscatterer.  From my experiences, level 1 techs are generally pretty useless.  I've had techs from Optus and Telstra try and tell me how Email works and how they're not responsible for SMTP issues and it's been hilarious.  

0 Kudos
dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

@Yeldarb - yes, the break in RFC requirements to issue a failure notice is most concerning.  Servers just don't stop doing this on their own, there has to have been some human interaction to tell the servers to not issue a failure notice.  This is absolutely unacceptable and makes it near impossible for us to diagnose the issue further (we can't even tell the IP address of the Optus SMTP saerver anymore...and thus check to see if it's still listed on a RBL).  

This is appalling service, and I'm getting to the point where I'll instruct my brother in law to file a TIO complaint.  I suggest others consider filing a TIO complaint too.  

0 Kudos
Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well for the the first time an email did arrive at Yahoo 24 hours late. Not a very good success ratio given I have sent probably 10 or more emails. I am not sure the TIO would have much sway on this issue but I guess for those that feel the situation is hopeless there is no harm in asking.

X-Apparently-To: bradley@yahoo.com; Wed, 05 Dec 2018 06:37:06 +0000
Return-Path: <yeldarb@optusnet.com.au>
Received-SPF: pass (domain of optusnet.com.au designates 211.29.132.249 as permitted sender)
X-Originating-IP: [211.29.132.249]
Authentication-Results: mta4108.mail.bf1.yahoo.com from=optusnet.com.au; domainkeys=neutral (no sig); from=optusnet.com.au; dkim=neutral (no sig)
Received: from 127.0.0.1 (EHLO mail105.syd.optusnet.com.au) (211.29.132.249)
by mta4108.mail.bf1.yahoo.com with SMTP; Wed, 05 Dec 2018 06:37:06 +0000
Received: from [192.168.8.104] (pa49-199-208-216.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au [49.199.208.216])
by mail105.syd.optusnet.com.au (Postfix) with ESMTP id C93161057935
for <bradley@yahoo.com>; Tue, 4 Dec 2018 10:37:25 +1100 (AEDT)
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 10:37:22 +1100
Subject: Another test message

dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting - that's using IP address 211.29.132.249 - did earlier failure notices have this IP address for you, or a different IP address.  211.29.132.249 is listed on backscatterer but not SORBS.  I'm guessing Yahoo uses SORBS.  

Again, the question is, why is there a 24 hour delay in mail arriving?  Something is clearly not right with the Optus infrastructure here.  

Optus needs to be more transparent as to the issue, and what is being done to rectify it.  

TIO will happily take a compliant, but they may not action it cos it's not an actual issue with the Internet connectivity itself.  And remember, the TIO aren't technically trained, so explaining the nature of the issue to them will probably be like an Astrophysicists explaining Einstein's general theory of relativity to a 2 year old...

Yeldarb
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes that IP is on the first page of this thread and it was listed on SORBS at the time. Given it has been delisted maybe there has been some action taken by Optus.

dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

Ah OK.  My failure notices have all been generated for a different IP address (211.29.132.42), which is still listed [on SORBS].  Note: my last failure notice was from the 23/11 and had this IP address.  Given the lack of failure notices since then, I am not sure what SMTP server mail is now being routed out by. 

A quick telnet to mail.optusnet.com.au on port 25 just now from a terminal shows the server IP address as 211.29.132.250, which is not listed on any RBLs.  I emulated sending a mail via telnet whilst connected, both to my @Yahoo.com.au address and @ecn.net.au address - neither has arrived after several minutes of waiting...I'll monitor it, but mail should never take more than a minute or 2 at most to arrive at its destination.  

Optus needs to ensure that failure notices are activated on their SMTP servers, and set the default time to a short interval such as 3 hours for testing purposes until this issue is resolved.

Marliu
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

This morning I sent 3 emails (30 mins interval) to my Yahoo address...

The first arrived within 2 mins! I thought Optus has finally fixed the problem. Hooray! After 30 mins I decided to confirm again and sent another email to test. NOTHING. Another half hour, another email...still NOTHING.

I give up...Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
dpastern
Contributor
Contributor

Mail flow is behaving really weirdly.  Even sending from my @ecn.net.au to my @ecn.net.au is now failing (it worked before) - tested last night and today via telnet sessions (connecting to211.29.132.250).  211.29.132.250 isn't listed on any RBLs, so this is rather weird behaviour.  A test Email sent to my @ecn.net.au from my iPad last night has arrived (using Optus SMTP mail server IP address 211.29.132.246).    I know ECN uses SORBS as a RBL for its mail servers still, so I'm perplexed at how this mail from last night arrived, but that IP address when I check now, is listed on SORBS.  I can only presume that it got black listed again overnight.  This would imply that SPAM mail is still originating from within the Optus infrastructure.  Which would mean that the source of the SPAM has not been isolated.  

I've had 2 failure notices arrive today - mail was originally sent 4 or 5 days ago...failure notices show 2 different IP addresss for Optus SMTP servers:

211.29.132.246 - listed on backscatterer and SORBS

211.29.132.249 - listed on backscatterer

Come on guys...pul the damn finger out and start fixing this issue.  Optus incompetence in fixing this is becoming rather glaring...

scimitar49
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I have continued to send 'test' emails to Yahoo and AOL addresses since this problem started affecting me (12 Nov).  Maybe two weeks ago, Yahoo, NOT AOL emails started being delivered.  This continued for maybe a week. Then the 'undeliverable mail returned' failure messages appeared again on Friday, 7 Dec, for emails sent on 2 Dec - the 5 day delay.

Contacts with Optus Support via Live Chat get the same old.  I have no faith it has been escalated despite the request.  Further, when I request the Live Chat transcript to be emailed (a Live Chat option), does it arrive?  Of course not.

I am completing case details to lodge with the TIO today, as previously suggested here, and also suggest others do.  TIO may not be able to solve the problem, but surely they have some influence with Optus management?

Further, every day you see/read/hear references to people taking to social media about an issue.  I don't have Facebook, Twitter or the like (not even a fully functioning email for that matter), but would be happy to see a campaign started by my fellow aggreived here, to get some resolution.  Thoughts?

And what about ACA or 60 minutes?  Or a complaint to ACCC for truth in advertising - Optus cannot provide the service they market????  Even a curt complaint to the Optus customer centre (Adelaide) is being contemplated.

Beyond a joke; not longer laughing. 

Yes Crowd Moderator: please push it as high up the managment tree as your can.

Scimitar49