Searching...

Re: Problems emailing Yahoo (only)

GuyCS

Hey all - we've raised a fault ticket for this one - reference number 20033601 and it's being investigated by our Network team. Feel free to use that reference number in future conversations and we'll be able to provide updates.

If you'd like to receive SMS updates with any progress, please reach out to our Live Chat team and request a child ticket to be created for you. You'll need to quote 20033601 (parent ticket) so that they can attach your ticket to the parent. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Re: Undelivered email - seeking postmaster address

GuyCS

Hey @sus02 - we've raised a fault ticket for this one - reference number 20033601 and it's being investigated by our Network team. Feel free to use that reference number in future conversations with us and we'll be able to provide updates. Appreciate your patience. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Re: Undelivered email - seeking postmaster address

sus02

Hi GuyCS

Thank you for keeping me updated.

Sus02

Marliu

I've been unable to email to Yahoo addresses since 7/11/18, over 2 weeks ago. There were no issues until that day. Have chatted online several times and was initially told that the problem was with Yahoo not Optus and asked to contact Yahoo help desk myself! Is this a high priority issue for Optus?

Highlighted

GuyCS

Hey @Marliu - apologies for any inconvenience. Our Network team is aware of the issue (ref 20033601) and are working hard to get this resolved as soon as possible. Sorry for the delay but appreciate your patience. 

Re: Problems emailing Yahoo & AOL (only)

scimitar49

Guys & Guyesses,

I also have problems with emails to AOL and YAHOO being bounced  (UK & AUST) -  delivery temporarily suspended: lost connection with mx-aol.mail.gm0.yahoodns.net   - when sent from my optusnet.com.au email addresses.  It has been happening since 12 Nov, and what is worse, the Undeliverable message takes 5 days to arrive!!

I spent over an hour yesterday with Optus Tech Support, and they confirmed it is a known problem, but offered no resolution.

As stated elsewhere, if Optus' email server/s are blacklisted, then what is Optus doing about it?  

Blacklisting is serious, and I find it hard to believe that is the cause, but ......

Optus, you are a large ISP.  Don't you have any say in the global ISP community to get this resolved?

It is very frustrating when you have no confidence in the email system. 

I only have 40+ years in IT, so can be helpful if I am lucky enough to find a competent the support person.

Optus:  OTY.  We are waiting.

Scimitar

[ Edited ]
Yeldarb

I think the problem is bigger than just Yahoo as every Optus IP I have tested using a local mail client as well as webmail is flagged on several differnt RBL's. Testing one hour ago showed all 3 IP adresses blocked by Spamhaus and that bassicly means any mail provider that uses Spamhaus may block Optus mail.

....and yes bounced messages are taking days to come back.

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a211.29.132.246&run=toolpage

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a49.199.35.59&run=toolpage

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a49.199.208.65&run=toolpage

scimitar49

So as I said before, why hasn't Optus escalated this right to the top of the tree?

Maybe we have to get the issue on A Current Affair, as I don't do social media - maybe I should now that email has become unreliable.

Scimitar

dpastern

Scimitar - Optus may not be able to do anything about some of the RBLs.  I know when i was at ECN, One of our SMTP mails servers was blocked at SORBS for like the last 5 years of our employment.  SORBS refused to remove it.  RBLs are a law unto themselves, nothing but Internet vigilantes, and the legal system does nothing to resolve the issue sadly.  

The only thing I can see is Optus potentially moving the affected SMTP servers to new IP addresses, or employing smtprouting (affected SMTP servers re-route all outgoing mail in their SMTP queue to another SMTP server operated by Optus that is NOT blacklisted).  We had 4 SMTP servers at ECN for his exact reason - it gave us flexibility to re-route mail when required.  

RBLs typically don't care if it's a exploited mail server or a large ISP SMTP mail server.  The former has perhaps 10-100 users, the latter, thouands and thousands.  All it takes is some idiot running Windows to get infected with a virus and bang, your SMTP mail server is suddenly routing out SPAM mail.   

The root cauess of SPAM and viruses have always been poorly configured operating systems (MS Windows is the main culprit here), and users who shouldn't be on the Internet (imho).  I know that sounds elitist, but it's the hard truth.  

dpastern

I'll just add a few more thoughts:

1) as the sysadmin responsible for the mail servers when I was at @ ECN, I typically had a good idea what the typical mail queue load was.

2) we monitored all of our servers in real time (using NAGIOS), including our mail servers, so we could see when the mail queues had issues.  

If we saw the mail queue start to grow beyond their normal averages, we'd hop onto the issue immediately.  I do not know if Optus monitors their mail servers, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.  

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
62 Kudos
41 Kudos
32 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos