Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Ryan
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Prepaid Broadband - data usage wrong

@gagootzz wrote:

Issue has now been sorted.

Data had been incorrectly removed/wiped from my account (not used by me!!). Data has now been returned to my account.

Thanks to Ryan for sorting.

No probs at all gagootzz.

Thanks for you understanding and patience while I looked into this for you 🙂

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
debsere
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I seem to be having a similar problem - Optus told me I had used 5GB of data in 10 days!  I told them this was almost impossible by anyones standards, if they check my records they will see that I usually only use 1.5 GB Max in 45 days, I only use my Iphone4 for facebook, and playing a few games (words with friends etc)  and when Im at home it uses my wifi.  My Iphone Cellular usage says

Sent 664MB

Recieved 2.7 GB 

and this has never been reset since I turned my phone on 14 months ago.  I dont understand and I am getting myself in a right state about this, they gave me another 2GB in compensation 6 days ago and 1GB has nearly gone already, so now Im hardly using my phone at all, Someone out there please help me.

0 Kudos
Ryan
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@debsere wrote:

I seem to be having a similar problem - Optus told me I had used 5GB of data in 10 days!  I told them this was almost impossible by anyones standards, if they check my records they will see that I usually only use 1.5 GB Max in 45 days, I only use my Iphone4 for facebook, and playing a few games (words with friends etc)  and when Im at home it uses my wifi.  My Iphone Cellular usage says

Sent 664MB

Recieved 2.7 GB 

and this has never been reset since I turned my phone on 14 months ago.  I dont understand and I am getting myself in a right state about this, they gave me another 2GB in compensation 6 days ago and 1GB has nearly gone already, so now Im hardly using my phone at all, Someone out there please help me.

Hey debsere - have you recently added any new apps on your handset that may require an Internet conneciton that could be causing this data usage? It may be worth ensuring these apps aren't running in the background on your handset. Another way to test this would be to place your SIM in a 2nd handset and monitor to see if the usage lowers back to your usual data usage. Let me know how you get on with this!

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
debsere
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for replying Ryan

the only app I have recently added is kobo and I havent even used it yet.  I cant change my sim to another handset as mine is a micro sim and I dont have a spare micro sim phone to try it in.  If you send me an email address I will screen shot all my apps to show you what I have got on it.  I really am terrified of using my phone at the moment, so please any help you can give is appreciated.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Ryan
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@debsere wrote:

Thanks for replying Ryan

the only app I have recently added is kobo and I havent even used it yet.  I cant change my sim to another handset as mine is a micro sim and I dont have a spare micro sim phone to try it in.  If you send me an email address I will screen shot all my apps to show you what I have got on it.  I really am terrified of using my phone at the moment, so please any help you can give is appreciated.  Thanks

No probs at all debsere, happy to help out where possible 🙂

If you quickly press the Home Button twice on your handset while on the Home Screen a small task bar will pop up from the bottom of your screen showing you all of the apps that are still running in the background. Perhaps try this and then press+hold the 1st icon until the small red circle with the horizontal line appears at the top of the icons. This will allow you stop the app from running (Don't worryy, you won't delete the app by doing this) 😉

Try giving this a try and then monitor your usage to see if it then lowers back to normal. If so, then it will basically be a process of elimination until you find which app seems to be a little 'data hungry'

Keep me posted!

0 Kudos
debsere
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

I already do that every day or two and have done for at least the last 8 months. When I spoke to apple they went through all this with me, and they are sure I have nothing that is constantly running up the data usage.  Is it really not feasible that Optus is the problem and Not my phone? Thanks Debs

0 Kudos
Ryan
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@debsere wrote:

I already do that every day or two and have done for at least the last 8 months. When I spoke to apple they went through all this with me, and they are sure I have nothing that is constantly running up the data usage.  Is it really not feasible that Optus is the problem and Not my phone? Thanks Debs

If you send your details via this link we can then take a look into your date usage to see if there are any clear patterns to help identify what's using this data Debs. Do you use the handset for tethering at all?

0 Kudos
debsere
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ryan I dont know what tethering means so I dont think so 😞  Last night I used my phone for facebook and I played 2 games words with friends and matching with friends and I went from 1.23gb left to 1.04gb left.  I wasnt continually using it just 10 minutes here and there, (that was over a two hour period). Does this help?

0 Kudos
Ryan
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

@debsere wrote:

Hi Ryan I dont know what tethering means so I dont think so 😞  Last night I used my phone for facebook and I played 2 games words with friends and matching with friends and I went from 1.23gb left to 1.04gb left.  I wasnt continually using it just 10 minutes here and there, (that was over a two hour period). Does this help?

Tethering basically means to allow your handset to act like a modem so other devices can access the internet through it's 3G connection. If you send your details through the link I previously provided we can then take a look at your plan as well as the data usage patterns for you Debs.

0 Kudos
debsere
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ryan, I filled in the details on the link you asked me to do. I definitely have never tethered it as I wouldnt know how. Hope you can sort this out for me. Thankyou. Debs
0 Kudos
Top Contributors