Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
COVID-19 impact to Yes Crowd & Contact Centres info here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Possible scam

A few weeks ago, I received a call through my landline (connected to NBN broadband) and the caller identified herself as an Optus worker, stating that they were contcting Optus clients at random to ask if they would mind participating on a 'Testing Broadband speed' program. For this purposes, they were sending out a small gadget to be connected to the Optus modem, and they would include a return address envelope, and would credit my account the sum of $50 for my troubles.

The woman provided all the relevant information, and I did not fill in any details for her, so I was not suspicious at all and agreed.

The parcel arrived within a few days, with a covering letter, which indicated to contact Optus on 133 937 if there were any issues. All looked good, so I connected the gadget. Today, after receiving my monthly bill without the credit of $50, I queried, only to find there is no 'special project' happening, and nothing on my account indicating that I am participating in anything to do with speed test. I am worried as this gadget was connected for about three weeks to the modem, and not being tech savvy, am not sure what may have happened. The gadget is labelled 'FAST' and has a reference number beginning with b8:27: ... Does anyone know what kind of delicate info they could have obtained from my modem, and if so, what I can now do about this? Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Possible scam

There was a lot of testing over numerous ISPs that used a similar setup.

The ISP would send out these test boxes to plug in and gave you credit on your accoutn etc for participating.

So could be Optus now doing this with actual Customers - not just testing their staff with their connections.

Did someone on Yes Crowd answer your question?
Please remember to throw a Kudo and/or Accepted Solution their way!
Highlighted
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Intriguing. 

FWIW it sounds legit. The ACCC has requested all the Telcos provide the public with random speedtest results across a range of customers and technologies. The only way to rule out your home equipment setup is to place a small device on your modem right at your gateway. The ACCC themselves are doing something similar in 5000 households.

When it comes to 'specials' Optus seems to be a bit ad hoc and it doesn't seem surprising that most people inside Optus haven't heard of the project / department. Credits can also take a two months to kick in at Optus.

I've flagged a moderator @MouniraH who might hopefully look into it and get back to you.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi savvynot

Thanks for reaching out. I have heard this test is being carried out and I am currently in the process of gathering more information on this for you.

In the meantime could you please PM me your account details.

Thanks M

Have you seen something helpful? Don't forget to give it a kudos. Asked a question and got an answer? Make sure you mark it as an accepted solution!
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks M. But how do I PM you?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

M - I just PMd you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired Employee
Retired Employee

Hi @savvynot

Thank you for your patience

I have confirmed to gain better insights on how our NBN network is performing, we are providing selected customers with an Optus Speed check device which tests network speeds and communicates back to Optus. 

Rest assured, the device does not collect any private data from your network or computer. All it does is run speed checks and send the data back to Optus regularly throughout the day.

Thanks

M

Have you seen something helpful? Don't forget to give it a kudos. Asked a question and got an answer? Make sure you mark it as an accepted solution!
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hey @savvynot, I just wanted to let you know that we've replied back to your most recent message. We'll chat with you there. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thanks everyone who replied and helped me with this. It is not a scam, and someone here has confirmed this for me. Really appreciate the response 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blog Author

Hey @savvynot, I've replied back to your most recent PM. If you'd like to chat with us about the credits owing, we can definitely do that! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you've found my answer helpful, please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy