cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
View your usage, get billing support and much more with the My Optus app, download it here
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Port engin VoIP to Optus

Does Optus offer a VoIP service for homes?

Can I port my Engin phone number to Optus? I have an internet service (Optus cable board band) which is what the Engin phone runs on. I now want to have the VoIP services provided by Optus. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Re: Port engin VoIP to Optus

VoIP services are only used with an NBN connection I'm afraid. It wouldn't be possible to port your number to the HFC network.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Can you please explain this a bit more. We previously used an Optus Cable broadband connection/HFC network running a VoIP phone service (by Engin). We are still using the same internet infrastructure (Optus cable/HFC network) but we are purchasing the phone service from Optus.

Further this is confusing because when we get NBN it will not be a new newtork. For NBN rather than build another broadband network over the top of these existing HFC networks, they will be continue to be used (but owned by NBN rather than Telstra and Optus).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @4b,  From what I know, Optus HFC voice is available in two flavours:

1. Voice connected to a COW (I think that is acronym) that usually sits on the outside of the house.  This is the older method and operates independently of the internet service;
  2. Using VoIP, connecting to ports on your NTU.  If your internet is down, so is your voice.

As far as I understand, Optus have porting agreements with everyone except TransACT.

If you want Optus to supply the voice, you will need to request to have your voice service re-enabled and then request a port-in.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi Berowa2,

Thanks for your response. Whilst I couldn't explain it like you did, that was my understanding. It's just how it worked with Engin - internet down, no phone. And in fact it's exactly the same with our new Optus phone - internet down, no phone. Engin have adviced they regularly port numbers to Optus, and we have requested Optus to port the old Engin number to Optus but they keep saying it's not possible.

Thanks,

Annabel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @4b,  There are situations where, if not possible, incredibly difficult to port certain numbers.  For examlpe, if your number is part of a business bundle (e.g. 100-number range) bought by Engin off a carrier that won't let them split that range up - you either take the whole range or none.  I understand Optus is phasing out some of their systems (of which the HFC Vision system is one) so they may be hamstrung by that system's abilities.  Not sure where you can go from here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
RetiredModerator
RetiredModerator

Hi @4b, irrespective of the technology, we're unable to port a number across from Engin as we don't have a porting agreement in place with them. If you check out the porting authority form on our support page you can view the list of providers we have agreements with in the drop down menu.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor
New Contributor

Thank you Hannah. I thought that because you have an agreement with Telstra which is the Engin wholesaler that it meant you'd be able to port.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @4b,  It's a moot point because of the porting restriction, but I think you will find that Engin are under voice carrier Primus and both are under Vocus Group.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors