Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
New Contributor Matt_p
New Contributor

Poor speeds and poor tech support

Hi

I have been with optus for a number of years and been mostly happy. Recently my cable internet speed have been poor, I'm supposed to be on the premium speed pack (well I have been paying for it) but not seeing any speed near what I should.

Tuesday this week I contacted tech support as my downspeed power levels were very high and speeds slow (have been for some time)

Wednesday , tech arrived spent no more than 5 mins here did no testing but placed a 2 way splitter in line which didn't even get close to bringing the power levels into spec (decided to just spend my own money and get it right)

Today (friday), contacted tech support again to have tech log into the wrong account while I proceeded to waste 1hr of my time explaining my plan,what my problem is etc. Was told I would be called back (of course I was not, how stupid may I to expect any sort of service).

Now I have had my rant my question is. Should I have recieved a new modem when my package was upgraded . I recieved nothing other than a bigger bill and speed just as slow as before (didn't take it up with Optus before as it wasn't need, now it is).

My Modem is 6 years old now and I'm sure its not up to spec.

If I don"t see a result soon I'm sure Telstra will enjoy all my business (Home phones, internet, mobiles, company phones etc)

Advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
11 Replies
New Contributor Matt_p
New Contributor

Re: Poor speeds and poor tech support

Maybe it would have been helpful if I added these photos in the first place.

Is this modem capable of providing the speeds I should see with the premium speed pack?

0 Kudos
New Contributor Matt_p
New Contributor

Did some research myself to discover the modem supplied is not capable of delivering the speed the premium speed pack offers.

I can not believe the person that pushes you to upgrade and sign up to these plans does not arrange the correct hardware to be delivered. For the last 12 mths I have been paying for a service I have not been getting! I'm sure this is standard practice as most people wouldn't even notice.

I called back today and finally got someone with half a brain that confirmed what I thought. The end result is a new modem is on its way.

It is totally unreasonable that it took 3 calls to tech support and 1 onsite visit to figure something so basic out. Even then it was up to me to figure out the problem and push for a replacement.

Training program needs to be re-visited that's for sure!

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor rich0man88
Occasional Contributor

Upgraded my Optus Foxtel TV to HD and the tech spent 3 hours trying to do this on my Smart TV with wires hanging down the wall... said he would come back the following day which he did and left after one hour.

The result was the picture out of sinc with the sound.. Sometimes the picture was differnt channel to the sound. Phoned OPTUS to complain asking for a diff tech ... the same guy turned up one week later unannounced.

I had already got a local tech to fix the sound ; cables ; ect and install a phone line connection to the tv so we could access Foxtel Catch Up and FOXTEL on Demand..... cost $400...

deeeerrrrhh..... now found out Optus can not offer this service and charge the same price as FOXTEL... spoke to the RETAINMENT team and they confirm this ... WHY IS OPTUS TV THE SAME COST AS FOXTEL BUT OFFER LESS.  Optus then offered a plan discount for 6 months...!!!

So the next was trying to access the download of a film via wi-fi on the Smart TV..... got buffering every 2 minutes with the film stopping after 14 minutes ..... i SPOKE TO SUPPORT AT EZYFLIKS AND THEY SAID THE OPTUS UPLOAD SPEED WAS TOO SLOW......

HOW CAN i IMPROVE THE SPEEDS....this is the speed tests....

(OR DO I JUST CHANGE EVERYTHING TO TELSTRA???)

2/22/2014 10:07 PM GMT122.107.145.1882.25 Mb/s1.42 Mb/s5 msMelbourne< 50 mi 
  2/22/2014 12:15 PM GMT122.107.145.18832.42 Mb/s1.56 Mb/s5 msMelbourne< 50 mi 
  2/22/2014 12:10 PM GMT122.107.145.18834.91 Mb/s1.43 Mb/s15 msMelbourne< 50 mi 

2/22/2014 12:00 PM GMT

122.107.145.18834.26 Mb/s1.50 Mb/s15 msMelbourne< 50 mi 
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Julz
RetiredModerator

Hey Matt_p - if you're using a Cisco modem supplied by us then it's capable of Docsis 3 cable speeds. Feel free to post a speed test result so we can take a look.

Hey rich0man88 - your upload speed looks good/normal at the moment. We're performing upgrades though & hopefully you'll notice the difference soon. 

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

If my speeds are normal why can I not download a film to my SMART TV.??

Buffering ever 2 minutes and the film froze at 14 minutes....

Tonight I canot even get email from HOPlesOPTUS.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to webmail.optuszoo.com
8.57 pm ........
A JOKE.
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Re: Poor speeds and poor tech support... O.M.G..... SERVICE ISSUES GALORE !!!!!! STILL NO E-MAIL !!

Unexpected Issues

Location Service Affected Outage Type Status More info
KELVIN GROVE, RED HILL, ASHGROVE, QLDHome PhoneHome PhoneFixing 
Perth, WAHome PhonePhone services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
Adelaide, SAHome PhonePhone services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
Brisbane, QLDHome PhonePhone services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
Melbourne, VICHome PhonePhone services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
Sydney, NSWHome PhonePhone services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
DONCASTER EAST, VICInternet, Phone & Optus TelevisionInternet, Phone & Optus Television services are experiencing service affecting issues.Fixing 
Doncaster East, VICInternet, Phone & Optus TelevisionInternet, Phone & Optus Television services are experiencing service affecting issues.Fixing 
Hobart, TASMail IssuesInternet services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
Darwin, NTMail IssuesInternet services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
Perth, WAMail IssuesInternet services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
Adelaide, SAMail IssuesInternet services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
Brisbane, QLDMail IssuesInternet services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
Melbourne, VICMail IssuesInternet services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
Sydney, NSWMail IssuesInternet services are experiencing service affecting issuesFixing 
Lidcombe, NSWInternet, Phone & Optus TelevisionInternet, Phone & Optus Television services are experiencing service affecting issues.Fixing 
Frankston, VICInternet, Phone & Optus TelevisionInternet, Phone & Optus Television services are experiencing service affecting issues.Fixing 
Mascot, NSWInternet, Phone & Optus TelevisionInternet, Phone & Optus Television services are experiencing service affecting issues.Fixing 
0 Kudos
New Contributor Notahacker
New Contributor

Re: Poor speeds and poor tech support... O.M.G..... SERVICE ISSUES GALORE !!!!!! STILL NO E-MAIL !!

Julz

The details off Matt-P's modem show that it is a Cisco DPC2203 which has the docsis 2.0 20 Mbps standard.The DPQ3925 has the docsis 3.0 100 Mbps standard that suits the Premium speed, as does the Netgear cg3000 modem.

Cheers

Notahacker

0 Kudos
New Contributor Notahacker
New Contributor

I should have also said that I recently changed my modem from the cisco DPC2203 to the DPQ3925.The speed test showed 20Mbps, that then went to 100Mbps.As Premium speed is 100Mbps, by using a 2.0 rated modem, as the 2203 is, you will reduce the speed to 20Mbps.By using the 3925 3.0, as the 3925 is, you will obtain the full 100 Mbps.

Until recently, I didn't realise that my modem was restricting my speed.When I realised that Premium speed is 100Mbps and my modem was rated at 20Mbps I decided to replace the modem.

Cheers

Notahacker

0 Kudos