Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
SuperDude
New Contributor
New Contributor

Plan cancellation

Hi guys, I’m saddened to say I’m unable to afford my current plan, as it costs me roughly $185? A month. I wish to cancel a plan and save money, and once I’m financially stable enough, I’ll be happy to sign a new plan with Optus in the future. I’m aware of cancellation fees, I just don’t know how much will a fee costs.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Plan cancellation

Good on you for confronting the financial issue up front. How long are you under contract for now? Is it a renewed contracts of the first one with Optus.

At $185 I assume its a mix of mobile and broadband services? These would be treated seperately.

For mobile you would have to pay off any 'handset' component (that usually increases if you cancel the contract). The good news is you can normally stop the plan monthly bills on the spot. Cancellation fees range from $0 to $400 (reduced the longer you are in the contract).

For Internet its similar. Most plans fave a cancellation policy along the lines of:

The maximum cancellation fee for this bundle is $550 ($200 for the phone service and $350 for the broadband service). When you recontract, the maximum cancellation fee for this bundle is $100. Cancellation fees decrease during your contract period

There is also an option to talk to Optus and discus financial hardship (form). i don't know how flexible optus are in this area but possibly they could organise some reduced service options or a pause etc. 

But ultimately the best way is to contact LIVECHAT (24/7) and request the payout figure. Make sure they explain what components make that figure up.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
pwright
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Re: Plan cancellation

If its for Mobile Services signed up more recently, usually the Pay out is the Cost of the Device.  If you have a look at your Bill, and it says Handset $x and Credit $y, its the total of the Handsets costs x number remaining.  Try ringing the Cancelation Team on 1300555241 and wade through the Menu Options for Cancelations.  They will be able to tell you the disconnection costs, they may be able to put you on a lower plan or change something to make it more affordable for you.