Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Joes
New Contributor
New Contributor

Phone calls regarding 40% discount - Scam

I keep on getting calls from a call centre claiming to be Optus saying that they are able to offer me a 40% discount on my phone bill for 3 months. They just need my date of birth and a code. If you provide this, they send a code to your mobile phone which seems to be spoofing the OPTUSMSG name for SMS's. You are supposed to tell them that code to verify. I know this is a scam but I could see this tricking a lot of people. My question is, how can they spoof the Optus message or initiate one being sent and what exactly are they trying to do.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YetAnotherAcc
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Phone calls regarding 40% discount - Scam

Did the Optus message have any info other than a code? if so what did it say?

0 Kudos
Kartika

Hi @Joes, from what you have mentioned it`s definitely a scam call. You have done the right thing by not providing any of your personal details. With number spoofing the person / organisation calling you will display a different number from the number they are actually calling from. Basically they are pretending to be us (Scam) by making it look legit. So you might see an sms or MMS saying it is from an Optus number but actually it is not.

Please refer to this → support page for more details.

Would also recommend to report the details → here 

Kartika__________________________________________________________________________
I’m part of the Yes Crowd team, employed by Optus to help run our online community. This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

"it`s definitely a scam call. You have done the right thing by not providing any of your personal details"

And yet Optus still routinely cold calls customers and tells them they have a "special offer". To be told about it all you have to do is tell the caller your full name and date of birth and address. If you don't then the call is ended.