Searching...
Highlighted

Phone Outage and Nobody seems to know whats happening

Tooleyau

Instead of waiting an hour on the phone I thought I would try this (again).

Problem. - Last Sunday our phone, and internet went down. No dial tone.

Our neighbour, an Optus client, has the same problem.

I have tried all disconnect-and-reconnect processes and the problem still exists.

When I speak on the phone to Optus I get It seems OK from our end. We will look into it.

If you try to phone our home phone number you get a This phone is disconnected

Wednesday I got a message from Optus saying A technician is scheduled to resolve your fault between now and 7pm 06/12/2017. You do not need to be at home at the time. Ref 17695210

Thursday I was told I would get a phone call to sort out the problem. Nothing

So the problem is somewhere between your exchange and our house(s)

Does anybody know what is happening? I just want to know if its being fixed, and how long it will take.

Extremly frustrating

Re: Phone Outage and Nobody seems to know whats happening

keho

You're in the wrong line: the queue for service formed over there.

About the only thing you can do is waste more of your life waiting on one of the few customer service phone lines to try to find out.  Chances are, the tech support people will be very agreeable.  They will try to help.  They may have reliable information on the operational status of your gear.  They will act bona fide if they schedule an actual service visit.  After that, though, anything at all could happen, and you may have to return to the start of the queue again.

Dan_C

Hey @Tooleyau, I'm really sorry for the lack of communication from our end.

I've had a scroll through the remarks left under fault ticket - 17695210. We did have an estimated restoration date of the 06/12/17. I've actually checked in with our wholesaler and they've advised the following, "Hauling completed, jointing completion on the weekend. ETR 11/12/2017." It looks like we should have this sorted out by Monday. Feel free to check in and request an update from us at any time.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Dan_C

@keho, this enquiry was actually in relation to a localised Telstra outage (we lease their existing copper infrastructure to provide our customers with access to local telephony and ADSL services).

We have more than one customer impacted by the issue. I have to disagree with the last portion of your post. Once a fault ticket has been opened (even if it's been closed in error) - we can always refer the issue back through to our tier 2 case management team and they'll have it re-opened. There's no need to go back through front line and explain the issue again.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

keho

Really?  Well I was given the run-around from early morning Tuesday until 12:30 today over a home phone glitch that I was told no less than 5 times had been fixed.  But a truly remarkable thing happened earlier today: I got a call out of the blue from a guy in Sydney who quoted a ticket number.  That was the very first time in the many hours I've spent that I was told that a ticket even existed.  And within 35 minutes he seems to have fixed the problem, but we shall see.

Every previous time I've contacted Optus about the issue I've had to go through the entire saga from scratch.  The shortest of those interactions was 48 minutes; the longest 1 hour 39 - and that's not counting time just trying to get a connection.  And when, last night, I asked to be put straight through to customer complaints section, I was told that the "front line" as you put it didn't even have their number.   "Front line" - it's an interesting use of military phraseology there, but apt if the purpose is to regard customers as the enemy, which, to judge by my experience, is precisely Optus' attitude to anything except sales.

So, Dan, maybe your understanding of what is supposed to happen doesn't fully accord with what happens in the real world.

Dan_C

@keho, I get that.

Point taken, it’s not always a seamless process. We're definitely not perfect. Depending on the customer you speak with, their experience may dramatically differ to someone such as yourself. I guess I'm speaking from my own personal experience. I've successfully reopened a number of cases in my time here and I'm pretty confident in my ability to guide customers through the fault handling process. I do appreciate the feedback. If you do need us to look into your issue, I'm happy to do that. Feel free to keep us updated here.

Tooleyau

@Dan_C.

Dan,

Thank for the response.

You are correct, there is a huge lack of communication.

As your marketing department should have told your technical department communication is all important

All us average punters want to know is what is happening.  We should not have to wait in a phone queue for 90 minutes just to be told that the problem seems to be at our end and they will look into it.  A preferred option would be that Optus contact all those affected (Surely Optus has the technology), detail what the proble seems to be and when the solution should be implemented. 

If and when the solution is not implement in time, then a courtesy email, or text updating the status would assist.

Thats all we want, and that way we would feel a bit more "connected" with the feeling that "Optus seems to know what's going on"

You have also said that I can "Feel free to check in and request an update from us at any time."  - Heres the thing - thats a bit difficult as I don't have internet at home.

Surely Optus should be taking a pro-active aproach and say something.  "We will be sending updates of the situation each evening to your mobile."

What now truely annoys me, that after 6 days of trying to get some sort of information, and solution from Optus that I have to go to a public forum to get a result.  You are the only person I have had that actually detailed the problem and the proposed timing of the solution.  Thank you very much for that.

Now to raise a second outcome from the lack of internet at home. 

I am paying a certain amount of $$ to Optus to get unlimited internet and free local calls- Do I get a refind for the week that I have had no access? 

With no land line My wife and I have to use our mobiles - This is costing us $$. 

With no internet and since I do not have a data package on my mobile I have had to use a mobile hot spot.  Over the past week it has cost me $100 just to stay on line.

Is Optus going to reimburse me ?

Thanks

Dan_C

@Tooelyau,

All valid points, it’s not something that I can really disagree with. I will point out that we are in the process of building an online fault tracker into My Optus application. This is something that'll be rolled out within the coming year. It has been brought to our attention time and time again and it's something that I'm completely on-board with. In terms of compensation, we'll always provide a pro rata discount from the time in which the fault was raised up until the day in which it was resolved.

Compensation is based on your monthly access fee and the time that you've been without service. I'd suggest jumping into live chat → www.optus.com.au/livechat/pbb.

As far as excess mobile data is concerned, you'll need to take this one up with billing. I don't want to confirm that they'll be able to cover the entire amount but it's definitely something worth chasing up.

Tooleyau

@Dan_C

Here we are at day 9 and still no result.

Is thete any update on "I've actually checked in with our wholesaler and they've advised the following, "Hauling completed, jointing completion on the weekend. ETR 11/12/2017." It looks like we should have this sorted out by Monday. Feel free to check in and request an update"?????

JIGGSTERPOW

We had the same thing yesterday. NO landline. NO internet. from around 9:30 am thru till 5:30!!!! When I rang tech support I was given a waiting time of 30 minutes, so opted for a call back.  When the guy rang back, the service was miraculously "restored"  THis morning (Tuesday December 12th) the internet was once again off! I did the "high tech" thing (switch off the modem for 30 seconds and switch on again) and we're back online....BUT for how long?

Optus are full of it! Lots of talk, lots of BS but very little action! SO over this mob!

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
67 Kudos
48 Kudos
36 Kudos
31 Kudos
16 Kudos