cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Occasional Contributor barrymc
Occasional Contributor

Re: Permanently Turning off Call Waiting

Have now referred to TIO and hope for some response. Also seems that caller ID for incoming calls has disappeared?

Perhaps the chat people don't understand the difference between call waiting and caller ID?

Contributor Chopsie
Contributor

@barrymc

No, they don't understand the difference. This has repeatedly happened to me and I've had to contact them again to have caller ID put back on.

You're dealing with numbskulls. It may get better now you've referred to the TIO, but don't hold your breath. I started this thread in October 2016 and it's still the bane of my existence.

My TIO contact at Optus ignored my last email asking for compensation and telling him I'd asked the TIO to escalate the complaint, which was made back in mid-April.

To anyone else on the TIO boat, you do need to contact them to escalate the complaint or it will just sit in limbo indefinitely.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Now I am really depressed! I think I will just give up and put up with the beeps and lack of ID for incoming calls (I talk to all of my callers anyway)

0 Kudos
Contributor Purple
Contributor

you are correct. Ring again ( a terrible waste of time I know) and insist  Caller Id be turned on from both ends ie you can see who is calling you and others can see your number when you call them. They may tell you that Call Waiting and Caller ID are connected and this cant be done BUT keep insisting that they try because they can do it.

Good luck.

New Contributor JohnGee
New Contributor

I was alerted to this on-going problem today by my friend Barry.
I have read how Optus fail to permanently disable CallWaiting.

Telcos around the World have a practice of not disabling call waiting, as they want all calls answered. Thus, Ka-Ching goes their accounting... they all benefit by sucessful calls. Failed calls are a loss to them.

With the PTSN (old phone-line), the line-busy/not-busy was made at your local telephone exchange. Now, with VoIP and NBN the decision is made by your Modem on your desk. The busy tone, ring tone that a caller hears, is generated within your modem.

There are some widely used "star codes" which can configure a desk modem or an ATA box with settings on how to handle call waiting, and many others besides. These star codes are entered from your phone.

The relevant star codes are:

*56 (CW Act Code) -Enables call waiting on all calls.

*57 (CW Deact Code) -Disables call waiting on all calls.

Maybe these star codes will work on the Sagemcom modem supplied by Optus.
To turn off CW, just pick up reciever, wait to hear dial-tone, and enter *57 and hangup. This might work if Sagemcom use the standard VoIP codes in their modems.

JohnGee

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Contributor Chopsie
Contributor

@JohnGee

Holy crap, it worked. I have a sagemcom modem. 

Will check tomorrow to see if it sticks. 

Even if it doesn't stick, at least I can now turn it off for an important (incoming) teleconference call next week. (I know how to turn it off during outgoing calls but Optus offered no solution for incoming.)

THANKS!! So grateful!

Smiley Happy 

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

The *57 didn't work for me (my modem is the f@st3864 AC) but I had another chat with Optus today and for the moment at least Call Waiting has been disabled and I have Caller ID back. I won't hold my breath waiting to see if this is permanent but I suppose we should be thankful for small mercies if it lasts for a day or so. My chat man Calvert just sent me an SMS suggesting I disconnect the phone and then reconnect and check but I am leaving it for the time being. While it works, don't do anything.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@barrymc, can you fill out the template below and send that through to → http://yesopt.us/pmdan

Are you the primary account holder: Y/N

Your full name:
DOB:
landline number:

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Finally found a chat site person that knew what he was doing and at present I have call waiting disabled and caller ID enabled, as I have been trying to organise. Not sure how long it will last but all ok for the time being. Thanks for the offer of assistance.

0 Kudos
Contributor Chopsie
Contributor

The +57 fix did not stick. Call waiting is back. 

Optus has also set up call forwarding on my line so when people call my land-line it goes to my non-Optus mobile. I DID NOT ASK FIR, OR WANT, THIS. 

The Optus TIO liaison no longer responds to email. His name is Lyell Mensforth. 

Burn in hell, Optus. 

0 Kudos
Top Contributors