cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Contributor Chopsie
Contributor

Permanently Turning off Call Waiting

Does anyone know how to turn off call waiting permanently?

I've called Optus 133937 four times now, and each time someone who is overseas promises that they've turned it off, but it hasn't happened.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
98 Replies
RetiredModerator Pete
RetiredModerator

Re: Permanently Turning off Call Waiting

Oh Smiley Sad Should of been sorted by now, let me help. Could you please PM me through the telephone number, your full name and D/O/B?

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor Teza
Occasional Contributor

I don't know if any one will see this message, but I too have had no success in getting Call Waiting turned off PERMANENTLY.

Despite four separate requests to OPTUS from January 2017 onwards - the latest request on 14 December, OPTUS staff failed to do this simple task.

Please help with this matter, it is infuriating to be told to call OPTUS, then be sent a link that also tells me to call OPTUS.

It's like the wheel of death on some computers...

This problem did not exist previously, OPTUS staff were always able to set up my account - Call waiting OFF  - without any problem.

Teza.

0 Kudos
Contributor Chopsie
Contributor

I have had it switched off three times now, each lasting about 4 months. It appears to switch back on when the NBN is down for a prolonged period. No one can explain this, and no one believes it coincides with NBN downtime, but it's happened often enough that I am sure of it now.

When I call, the staff member invariably tells me that call waiting is already switched off. I have to persuade them to switch call waiting on, and then switch it off again, as this solves the problem. I always call the land-line from my mobile while we are talking, to ensure it has taken effect. 

Make sure you emphasise you are talking about call waiting, and not calling number display, because I had someone in an overseas call centre switch that off instead.

Then I just hope it'll last a few months. Wish I had a permanent solution for you, sorry.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the hints n tips.

During the last effort staff had me call my home phone from my mobile while on the home phone to the Optus staff member to test that call waiting had been removed.

No, still there BEEP BEEP BEEP.

If there is a connection between the call waiting resetting ON for some weird reason each time the power goes out (we have had one brown out and one black out in my Sydney suburb in the past four weeks), OR if the call waiting resets each time I am told to reset the modem - then there is a problem.

It's just another headache.

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

@Teza, I haven't come across this particular issue before. We've removed the call waiting feature manually from the back end, yet somehow it re emerges when there's a power outage or NBN outage? I know that you can disable call waiting on per call basis but obviously it isn't something that we'd expect for you to do each time you wish to make a call. 

You can disable call waiting on a per call basis by following these instructions:

1. Lift your handset
  2. Listen for dial tone
  3. Dial #87
  4. Dial your destination phone number.
  5. Call waiting will automatically reactivate on your next call.

I'm happy to approach Networks and ask if they're aware of the issue. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Contributor Chopsie
Contributor

Hi Dan,

The odd thing for me is that when I contact Optus it appears to switched off at Optus' end. They have to switch it on, then switch it off again, to get it to switch off. It's definitely connected to NBN downtime at my place. Weird. 

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply Dan_C, but staff have been UNsuccessful at removing call waiting.

The last call I made on the 14 December 2017, staff made 4 different attempts to remove call waiting and tested each time to see if this worked in real time whilst I was on the land line phone to them. And with me using my mobile to call myself to see if the deactivation was successful.

On each of the four attempts to remove call waiting, it did not work.

At the end of the call, staff told me they would reset the service from their end, and it might take 24 hours to be effective.

This too did not work, also they promised to call me back to check the result and did not call back.

I understand that I have the choice to turn call waiting off with each outgoing call from my home phone.

However, on all my previous - pre NBN accounts with Optus I have always had call waiting turned off permanently - without any issue once it was requested. For some unknown reason, staff are unable to successfully turn off call waiting on my home phone line as requested. Only the gremlins know why.

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Yes Chopsie, that is weird. If my patience can endure, I'll try again in the new year and use your suggestion to "switch it on, then switch it off".

It's just so incredibly frustrating after 10 months to still need to give this any effort at all.

0 Kudos
Contributor Chopsie
Contributor

Teza,

In my first couple of contacts with Optus I was given the "it'll take effect in 24hr" B.S. Or, restart your modem and then it will take effect. Neither of these things is true. My successful changes to call waiting via the call centre have all happened immediately, while I've been on the phone with them. I also had to call my land-line from my mobile while on the phone with them, to ensure it had taken effect.

It would have been my third call when I encountered someone who thought outside the box and told me that she'd switched call waiting on, was going to wait 5 minutes for it to take effect, and was then going to switch it off - and have me verify it had worked by calling my land-line while we were still talking. It worked, and I have known since then to insist the person at the call centre do this. 

It will not get back the hour you spend on hold, then trying to explain to someone running on survival English what you need them to do. And you won't receive any kind of compensation for the repeated problem and the substantial loss of your time. 

(Yeah, I remain annoyed because I know it will keep happening.)

Good luck, and I would encourage you to try the switch on/off request. It's the only thing that's worked for me. 

Top Contributors