cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Welcome to the new look Community! We're still upgrading and making some changes to the platform over the coming weeks! Stay tuned.
Contributor Purple
Contributor

Re: Permanently Turning off Call Waiting

I wish I knew what you are all talking about. Have a modem but no idea what number ?? it is. I am not technical and optus should take care of  this. I believe its call SERVICE. 

0 Kudos
Contributor Chopsie
Contributor

@Purple

Yours will be one of the two models of Sagem that Optus sends out and we've pretty much established that there's no way to solve the problem permanently with either modem.

An IT friend said the same thing as @JohnGee today: it's caused by the firmware updates.

Nothing will happen to solve this until Optus thinks a bit harder about this. As you say, it's called service, and apparently they don't feel they need to provide any for the $ we hand over.

There is the option of going to another provider. It doesn't seem to be happening with anyone I know who's with Telstra and you can take your phone number with you when you leave Optus. There are some smaller Aussie providers with Australian call centres who have pretty good packages, too -- Mate, for example -- and seem to have okay reviews, especially compared to Optus (and Telstra). Whistleout and other sites can point you to some alternatives.

0 Kudos
Contributor Purple
Contributor

thanks @Chopsie

good to now you can take the phone number but we have an Optus email and the thought of changing that is too hard to even contemplate. I am a Senior person and just dont want / cant do the hassle.

Surely there are enough IT people to work this out and correct it??? 

0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Hey guys, 

I've had a chat with our NBN tech team about this  issue. It's been brought up with Networks in the past, but at this time we're still waiting on a permanent fix. 

From what I've been told, the issue isn't just caused by Firmware updates. The call waiting feature is a default setting. Each time the modem drops off the Optus Network, we're finding that the service will revert back to its default setting.

As soon as I hear any news, I'll be sure to update this thread. If anyone would like me to go in and manually remove Call waiting, I'm always happy to do that. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Contributor Chopsie
Contributor

@Purple

I understand your reluctance to change your email. My parents were the same. Eventually they decided to do so (to get away from their telco) and my nephew went over and copied their address book/contacts over for them (also keeping an old-style paper version) to set up their new email and notify their friends of the change. I am also old enough now that I ask my nephew to fix computer-related issues for me because he can do it straight away while I have to think much harder than I would like about it.

It could be worth talking to family or friends to ascertain whether there's a someone around who could sort out an email changeover for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor JohnGee
New Contributor

An Optus client could migrate only their phone number to another SIP/VoIP provider and retain all emal account and internet connection with Optus. This would be conditional that the new SIP/VoIP provider does supply connection details for your Sagem modem, and that Optus allow you to have the password to your modem so that the settings can be stored for the new phone supplier.
If you cannot get the password from Optus, then another option would be to purchase your own compatible ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) box and add it to your local network.

Thus your email does not need changing, the internet connection does not need changing, and your phone number does not need changing.  You will have to pay a small monthly charge for your phone line to the SIP/VoIP supplier, but that can be minimal.

I see the biggest issue is with the modem that Optus are supplying, and the lack of manuals and accesibility to settings.

0 Kudos
New Contributor Carolinabardale
New Contributor

Hi Dan

I am having the same problem but the opposite way around I can’t seem to turn it on! It’s constantly off and my caller Id Switches off too!

we went into Optus yesterday and changed over to a post paid plan in the hopes that it would fix it and still having the same issue!

Please help!

0 Kudos
New Contributor JohnGee
New Contributor

To turn Caller ID and Callwaiting back on try:-

Lift receiver

dial *25

hangup.

Done.
To disable both again, do the same, but this time key in  *45

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager

Morning @Carolinabardale

@JohnGee's advice should do the trick. Failing that, you're welcome to send us a private message → http://yesopt.us/pmdan

We'll need your full name, DOB and service number. I'll flick the switch on the back-end and hopefully that'll kick things into gear. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Top Contributors