Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Peak hour cable speeds are extremely slow

@Databass,

I agree. Unfortunately it seems like there is no ready remedy to your issue. Optus can't fix congestion for you, they have to do it for everyone in your area. Which they've likely decided not to do with the network being scrapped in a year or two. Over the past few years we've seen cable usage change markedly with many households now consuming much more data (Netflix etc.). The Optus Network can't handle this increased volume (which is why the NBNCo aren't trying to repair it either) and unfortunately Optus policies of providing all customers with UNLIMITED downloads and a free PVR to stream Netflix and Stan means the strain is only increasing. 

I'm not sure what other options you have but I'd consider requesting the contract be ended if you have some.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
New Contributor Databass
New Contributor

Hi Peter

thanks for your response. I do understand that there aren’t many options to resolve the issue and the causes of the congestion are obvious. I am actually not on a contract with Optus and so I am free to move but there just aren’t really many other options in my area except for possibly ADSL with TPG which may end up being just as slow. What I object to is the cost of the Optus service relative to the quality of the service. I got through to their call centre after 50mins on hold and they agreed to apply a 20% discount to my service for the next few months. They said that their technicians are actively working on relieving the congestion issues in my area although I’m not sure I really believe that. If there’s no improvement over the next few months then I will probably move to a different provider.

cheers

Lance

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Bring on the NBN.

The NBN address checker had a major update yesterday so perhaps see if you have a new date?

Hopefuly the technician's will do their magic though.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor Natashahome
New Contributor

I have the same issues. When I am gaming (League of Legends) I average 30ms but at these peak times, I get 300ms which is 10 times worse. Making the game unplayable and really not enjoyable to play with the lag.

0 Kudos
Moderator Shauna

Hey @Natashahome - i've just replied to your other thread. 

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
New Contributor BruceXL
New Contributor

NBN won't help you. I am using NBN, and I can't do any online activity during 10-12 pm. P.S. I spend extra $10 every month to boots my speed as well. Optus really should fix this.

Bruce

0 Kudos
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

@BruceXL,

Definitely the NBN may help you.  Peak hour congestion (which appears to be your issue?) is not allowed now (the ACCC recently came down hard on the practice) RSPs have to publish average speeds in the peak hour period (7pm-11pm). That's not a guarantee but you should generally be hitting close to those speeds most of the time in peak hour. 

If not then you should be able to exit your contract without much issue. So if Optus can't provide the bandwidth that they are advertising (and you are paying for) then the NBN means you can easily switch to another provider who is. I'd recommend asking on whirlpool for those that are highly rated for speeds (and also suggest getting a true month to month plan as you can just try and switch as many times as needed to get a good RSP)

Before that though, you should be asking Optus to improve the bandwidth but it seems likely you've already done that?

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos