Searching...
Accepted Solution

Peak hour cable speeds are extremely slow

PotatoAndSickle

i am on cable and been getting extremey slow speeds from about 9pm till 7am this is very annoying as i game at these times 

most of the time i average 30mbs (what i pay for)

but at these times i get 2-5mbs which is unacceptable 

optus needs to fix this congestion issue in my area

if a mod replies with info on what is happening i will be very greatful 

thanks in advance

Re: Peak hour cable speeds are extremely slow

petergdownload

Unfortunately there is probably little that can (will) be done. 

Fixing congestion for you means fixing congestion for everyone. The Optus cable network is due to be completely scapped in 18 months. Recent events have seen a great increase in unlimited downloads coupled with free Netflix and Fetch TV and Optus Sport. Congestion is to be expected. Not much money is going to be spent on a soon to be gone network IMO.

When does the NBN arrive for you?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

PotatoAndSickle

hi peter 

i dont know when i am getting nbn but, i think its soon because on the nbn website it says that building has commenced in my area.

is there anything that optus can do to increase my speeds in the meantime 

Solution

petergdownload

Optus could invest heavily in upgrading the cable network but it is due to be scrapped in 12 months. Would you spend $50,000 renovating your house if you knew it was being demolished in 12 months?

There are currently 2 choices for high speed broadband in Oz (Telstra cable and Optus cable). If neither of these work for you then ADSL is the fall back (which is about 10Mbps max generally anyway). The NBN will open the high speed cable up to all ISPs so you can pick and choose. Until then I suspect your only options will be to either wait or leave.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

imurgod

Forget speed, mine drops out all the time and today, I can't access websites like microsoft.com and news.com.au (which I can do on my phone on 4G). No reason given, just a mystery. Seriously, Optus are woeful as an ISP.

PotatoAndSickle

that sucks bro you got it alot worse then me 

Dan_C

@PotatoAndSickle,

You're welcome to send us a private message with your account details. I'll need your full name, DOB and account number.

If the issue does stem from Network capacity then we can take you through some options.

http://yesopt.us/pmdan

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy
Highlighted

Maverick_16

Hi Dan

I'm guessing that you did have a resolution for this issue, but only available by PM.

Giving the number of complaints about the same issue of slow network, unreachable sites, inability to connect to the email server or webmail, would you be able to PM us all with your solution please?

Dan_C

I've posted the remedies we have available in the past but I'm having trouble locating the thread.

It's not a resolution per se, it's not going to solve the actual issue but there are remedies we can offer:

• A recurring monthly discount for a set period
  • An early release from contract with a waiver of your early termination fee

If you send me a PM, I'll respond as soon as I can.

We’re currently performing upgrades to the Yes Crowd platform.

Please be mindful that moderator responses may be delayed until the upgrade is complete. We apologise for any inconvenience during this time.

***Please note I am not currently with the Yes Crowd team.***

This guide explains how everything works on here and you should also check out our Community Guidelines.

Did we answer your question? Please mark it as a Accepted Solution and be generous with that Kudos button Smiley Happy

Databass

I have been on Optus Cable for 4 years and for the first 3 years it was brilliant - no complaints. Over the past 6 months it's become unusable. I regularly get 0.3Mbps to 0.6Mbps anytime after 6pm which renders the service useless bacause I'm only at home in the evenings. I've resorted to tethering to my mobile phone in order to work from home or surf the internet because the cable broadband gives me the kind of speeds we used to have in the 90's with dial up internet. I regularly get up to 70Mbps on my vodafone 4G connection. think about that... 140xfaster over a wireless network compared to a wired cable network. unbelievable really...

Optuse did send a technician who checked everything and it was all fine. I stayed home that day to let him in and we were getting close to 30Mbps during the day. so it's clearly an issue with congestion on the network. I am on hold now with Optus (have been waiting over 20 minutes now) to demand some sort of discount. it's unreasonable to expect people to pay $100/month for dial up internet speeds in 2018.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
83 Kudos
72 Kudos
71 Kudos
43 Kudos
27 Kudos