Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Emma29
New Contributor
New Contributor

Payment taken twice

I just paid an overdue amount on my bill and my credit card was charged twice. I called and asked for a refund and they won’t give it to me. There is still another amount owing on my bill (due 6th Dec) and they said because the two payments didn’t put my account in credit they can’t refund. This is absolutely unacceptable - I would accept this if o had “accidentally” paid twice but the money was taken due to a system error with Optus. I have had nothing but hassle with the customer service of Optus, for an internet provider there seems to be way too many “technical issues”

0 Kudos
3 Replies
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Re: Payment taken twice

It might be inconvient, but you haven't lived up to your end of your agreement (paying for sevices rendered). From what you say Optus is still yet to be fully paid. Its hard to fault them for trying to recoup what is owed.

Peter Gillespie

0 Kudos
Emma29
New Contributor
New Contributor

I may not have explained it properly. I am up to date with payments - the amount still owing is not due until Dec so I I’ve paid for the services rendered. That amount will be paid on the due date but in the meantime, through no fault of my own, I have been charged twice. Regardless of whether or not I still owe money (again, not yet due) they can not take money from my account without my permission. It’s actually illegal.

0 Kudos
petergdownload
Honoured Contributor
Honoured Contributor

Seems a bit of a mess indeed. I take it you're not on direct debit. 

Optus seems to have a different definition of paid up as in general any over payments to an account just get shown as a credit amount (that you can request back or just get auto applied to the next bill). Just guessing now, but possibly the account hadn't shown the second amount applied to your account yet. Or perhaps Optus consider payments after the bill has been raised as paying it (not putting it in credit).

It sounds like an error was definitely made (by you, the bank or Optus) but unfortunately the amounts and your particular situation means the money might now be allocated. You could try customer service again (LiveChat) - you can often get a different response depending on who you get.

Peter Gillespie