Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Highlighted
Contributor FenDavo
Contributor

Paying for ADSL2+ speeds but getting almost Dial-up speeds

Anyone else connected to the Everton Park exchange in Brisbane experiencing this issue? Check out these speed tests... http://speedtest.ookla.com/result/2078599945.png http://www.speedtest.net/result/2621504566.png Grade F- This is very disappointing. I pay $110 for these speeds. Wonder should I offer to pay only $10 per month for them instead? I am only 3km from the exchange. I should be getting at least 6MBps
0 Kudos
29 Replies
RetiredModerator Tom
RetiredModerator

Re: Paying for ADSL2+ speeds but getting almost Dial-up speeds

Hey FenDavo, sorry to hear about this issue, certainly these speeds are much lower than we would expect. Can you confirm how long this has been happening for?

When you're running the speed tests, is it via Ethernet cable and with no other programs running that may use bandwidth? Are these speeds happening at all times, or just at certain times of the day? The best option for this would be to call our faults team directly on 131344 so they can investigate this and isolate the root cause to try to resolve it as soon as possible.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
Contributor FenDavo
Contributor

For over a year actually, but worse since Jan 2013
0 Kudos
Contributor FenDavo
Contributor

Speed tests via Ethernet, but also have a log of tests done via WiFi with acceptable lower scores naturally (because of Wifi).

No other programs running - except anti-virus which would not have this big an impact.

have called support number several times. They keep blaming my internal lines. Apparently I am expecting a human on Sunday 14th April. I hope they fix it. Else I will be calling your retention team...
0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Ryan
RetiredModerator

If you can provide some more info on the questions Tom asked in his previous post it will help us try isolate where your issue lies FenDavo as troubleshooting a fault on an Internet connection is basically a process of elimination.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

0 Kudos
RetiredModerator Ryan
RetiredModerator

Thanks for the follow up info 😉

Can you shoot me the Problem Report number for this tech visit so I can take a look at the notes on this for you?

0 Kudos
Contributor FenDavo
Contributor

Thanks Ryan and Tom, I think the ref number is 11346957, but my previous experiences expect you to find very little help in the notes.
0 Kudos
Contributor FenDavo
Contributor

Just used this address http://help.optuszoo.com.au/help/dsl/downloadtest to achieve a test result which is here: http://speedtest.ookla.com/result/2080399829.png

Logged into my modem/router and it shows a downstream connection speed of 307 kbps
0 Kudos
Contributor FenDavo
Contributor

Strangely, the PingTest shows line quality as 'A' - certainly doesn't feel like it. If I pick up the phone to make a call I can almost guarantee that my modem will disconnect.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/79414046.png
Modem Stats
ADSL LinkDownstreamUpstream
Connection Speed307 kbps511 kbps
Line Attenuation46.0 db35.3 db
Noise Margin14.3 db12.1 db
I am about 3km from the exchange
0 Kudos
Contributor FenDavo
Contributor

Logged into my modem/router and it shows a downstream connection speed of 1636 kbps. I think there might be some congestion at the DSLAM at the Everton Park exchange. Seems that if I use the internet at around midnight or 5 in the morning I can get maybe a quarter of what I should be getting (6800Mbps was what I was receiving when I first joined in July 2011). All other times I seem to get between 0.04Mbps and 0.35Mbps
0 Kudos
Top Contributors