cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask a Question
Occasional Contributor hot_dots
Occasional Contributor

Password does not connect to 5ghz NBN

After being forced off my cable service and onto the NBN, I received my Optus wifi modem (I have now had two as they originally thought the first one was faulty) and was told my password should work for both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks.  My problem is that my device finds the 5ghz network but when I try to connect it tells me that the password failed.

I have spent days and hours on the phone with Optus technical help and quite frankly they have no idea.  The latest is that the Indian guy said he would call me back in a few days so he could research the problem (all the while I am paying more for the service I cannot use).  I can connect to the 2.4ghz network but I have to say it is slower than my old cable connection.

Has anyone else had this happen?  Was there a solution ever found?  I am a bit over it all!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
New Contributor NSW
New Contributor

Re: Password does not connect to 5ghz NBN

Same issue - we were connected to the NBN yesterday but cannot access the 5GHz NBN even though it is visible. Get "Authentication error occured". Tried to get the answer via livechat but was told we needed to wait 24 hours for the full service to become active. It is now 24 hours...

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

Don't hold your breath.  Was connected in Feb still can't connect to 5ghz.  I am now thinking of buying a router to see if I can connect to 5ghz through that?  Although not sure if it works like that, however, it has to be better than the piece of cr@p modem that Optus gives you.

0 Kudos
New Contributor NSW
New Contributor

I just spoke to a real person and 'apparently' 5GHz is only compatible with Xbox or playstation not TVs tablets computers etc...

0 Kudos
Occasional Contributor

That's interesting, I think they may tell you whatever is convienient.  If you look at the NBN Board there is another topic on there where others have had success in getting on the 5ghz and I don't think they were just trying on the Xbox etc. It is currently on the main page of the NBN Board.

0 Kudos
Top Contributors