Searching...
Accepted Solution

Packet Loss For Past Week - 1% Packet Loss (20 April 15 to Today 28 April 15 - Ongoing Issue)

BlahBlahBlah

Hi,

History:

We’ve been with Optus for four years or more and haven’t had any ongoing issues. We have  naked ADSL 2 and we’re about 1.5 kilometres from the exchange so speeds are generally good. We signed up for the Optus Entertainment Bundle 16 May 2015 and this includes a landline plus calls if we want to connect a phone. Optus consolidated our account a few days before so we’re ready for the plan to start May 2015.

Current Situation:

FYI - We have not and will not connect a landline phone so this isn’t causing an issue with noise or anything associated with using internet and phone on the same line. I don’t know if this is a coincidence but since the 20 April I noticed that my multiplayer gameplay (BF4) started to stutter/lag and this was linked to the ping reaching about 240 or more, when previously ping was always less than 80. FYI - I have stress tested my PC hardware and can assure you it's not a faulty PC component. I then connected to each available online Australian BF4 gaming server to try and understand what was happening and realised that the ping issue was evident on each server that I connected with and this is still happening. I then ran an Optus Speed Test and noticed that we were getting -1% and -2% packet loss and this has never happened and should not be happening when running a connection test to ISP server unless you’re far from the exchange, but we’re not so this indicates something is wrong with Optus server, I think… This is during the day when there’s no congestion and even previously I could play throughout the evening without a high ping or packet loss problems. I have ran several ping/packet loss tests using Australian servers located in WA, VIC, SA, ACT and I didn’t experience any packet loss. It appears the only packet loss that occurs is when I run the Optus Speed Test.

Solutions Tried:

I’ve called Optus and have been told to reset the router and all the usual stuff which I’m guessing you are all familiar with… I was then told by one Optus rep that it was due to the congestion on their network and this was in the evening, which made sense but still something has changed as it only started happening within the past week. I was also told that Optus NSW is “having problems” but they couldn’t clarify what this meant… Anyhow, the next night I rang again and was told that it was a hardware issue on my end, but we can stream data without issues and our download/upload speeds are fine even when there’s congestion. I believe the packet loss issue is the problem unless there’s something else happening I can’t understand. I’ve connected my router to my PC with Ethernet and this didn’t change the result.

Tests - 28‎/‎04‎/‎2015‎ ‎4‎:‎57‎:‎08‎ ‎PM

Optus Speed Test:

Download Speed: 12035 kbps (1504.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 728 kbps (91 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 27 ms

Jitter: 1 ms

Packet Loss: -1%

PINGTEST.NET – Melbourne Server (450 Miles)

0% Packet Loss

Ping: 40 ms

PINGTEST.NET – Perth Server (2050 Miles)

0% Packet Loss

Ping: 84 ms

SPEEDTEST.NET – Gold Coast Server

Download: 10.15 Mbps

Upload: 0.67 Mbps

Ping: 40 ms

Re: Packet Loss For Past Week - 1% Packet Loss (20 April 15 to Today 28 April 15 - Ongoing Issue)

[ Edited ]
BlahBlahBlah

4/29/2015

Continuing from my above post I am going to continue posting so there’s a record of this problem and so Optus can review this information and understand what’s happening. So today I purchased an Optus Netgear DGN2200 modem/router in an effort to identify if this would improve my connection and also to ensure that both of the modem/router devices I own are functioning correctly. This means that this modem/router is the third device I have tested and I doubt others have gone to this extreme. I ran the same five tests as I did last night and I’m still getting  -1% packet loss via ethernet (Cat5e) cable and wireless. The below results are from wireless using an “approved” Optus Netgear DGN2200 modem/router. This highlights that the continued reference Optus makes about using “approved” modem/routers doesn’t really seem to make a difference… I still can't play online (BF4) as the packet loss and jitter is making it impossible to obtain a stable connection.

Tests - 29‎/‎04‎/‎2015‎ ‎9‎:‎29‎:‎22‎ ‎PM

Optus Speed Test:

Download Speed: 2146 kbps (268.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 712 kbps (89 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 26 ms

Jitter: 5 ms

Packet Loss: -1%

PINGTEST.NET – Melbourne Server (450 Miles)

0% Packet Loss

Ping: 79 ms

Jitter: 75 ms

PINGTEST.NET – Perth Server (2050 Miles)

0% Packet Loss

Ping: 87 ms

Jitter: 5 ms

SPEEDTEST.NET – Gold Coast Server

Download: 2.34 Mbps

Upload: 0.70 Mbps

Ping: 42 ms

Re: Packet Loss For Past Week - 1% Packet Loss (20 April 15 to Today 28 April 15 - Ongoing Issue)

BlahBlahBlah

So I'm just going to copy and paste the screen shots as it's much easier but as we can see the packet loss still exists but everything else this morning is good on the Optus Speed Test. When running Tracert last night the results were terrible but this morning they have improved, which is probably associated with line congestion. I'm beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with the fact the telephone line was previously disconnected/not active and since we've changed our plan and the phone line is now active, could this be interfering with the ADSL even though there's no phone connected...

Optus Speed Test.JPG

Tracert.JPG

Now this was interesting; running PINGTEST.NET 3 times and I got a pretty bad result connecting with a server in Pyrmont, Sydney, which is close so not sure what's happening as the previous test results from this server were good.

PINGTEST.NET.JPG

BlahBlahBlah

Well, the packet loss and ping when trying to play online games is still causing an issue and I haven't been able to obtain a stable connection with any of the usual servers that I access. The tracert I ran this morning to Optusnet.com.au showed terrible results, but download speeds are fine. However, it's not just download speeds Optus needs to deliver, we need stable connections for many things and for me online gaming is one of them. It's now been more than 48 hours as promised by the Optus technician as he advised that he would refer this matter to a level two team and someone would contact me. As of today, we are now on the $90 Optus Entertainment Bundle but we haven't received our fetch box yet or powerline adapters.

Optus Speed Test.JPG

Tracert.JPG

PINGTEST.NET.JPG

Hollie

Hey BlahBlahBlah, 

Thanks for all the info - sounds like this is now sitting with our Case Management team - has anyone been in contact regarding this since you last posted? If you have a fault reference number handy I'm more than happy to have a look into this further for you and see if I can provide you with any further info or timeframes for upgrades.

Please ensure you abide by the community guidelines. All moderation actions are final.

Highlighted

BlahBlahBlah

Hi Hollie,

It's all good.

I've been working with Optus to resolve/investigate the potential causes surrounding the aspects I have mentioned.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Solution

[ Edited ]
BlahBlahBlah

Here’s The Final Post & Outcome

So I sent three tracert results to Optus for review as requested but they never rang me to discuss the results as agreed so this was an error on their part. Having said this, I have learnt strange things about my connection. When I last spoke with the Optus tech guy, he advised me that he would change my line profile; what I can say is that I consider this has improved speeds and seems to have resolved the issues I was having with obtaining a stable connection to my online gaming servers. However, what is strange is that since connecting the cat6 ethernet cable again to both my existing Netgear DGND37000 and new Optus DGN2200 modem/router I have been able to play online games without issue but this only occurred after Optus reset/changed my line profile. FYI - I even went to the extent of replacing my internal dual band wireless adapter in my PC to ensure that this wasn’t causing the lag/packet loss issues when trying to play BF4 MP using a wireless connection but this didn’t solve the issue and for some strange reason I still can’t play BF4 multiplayer with a wireless connection. I can’t with 100% certainty say that Optus was at fault but it’s a strange coincidence that once Optus reset/changed the line profile that I was able to play on the same servers again without issue but only now with a cat6 Ethernet cable connected.

Anyhow, I just received our Optus Fetch box and the installation was easy and I’ve been streaming channels without issue so kudos to Optus for trying to help resolve the problems I had.

My Tips for Dealing with Optus & Troubleshooting Your Issues:

1.Be persistent but patient

2.Use your initiative and troubleshoot everything in your dwelling that could be causing an issue like hardware, your wireless connection and your attached devices.

3.Tether a device with an internet connection to your PC or other hardware and see what happens as this could help with identifying other possible issues.

4.If you think it’s a speed/connection issue then buy a cheap wireless modem router and compare its results to your existing hardware using your wireless connection and a cat6 Ethernet cable.

5.Learn how to interpret speed test and tracert results

6.Don’t broadcast your internet publicly, so hide your SSID.

7.Use this forum to search for similar issues because the odds are is that someone has already resolved the same issue.

8.You can typically connect about 15 devices to one modem router without issue unless your hardware is old and/or cheap.

Post a Reply
Top Contributors
75 Kudos
75 Kudos
52 Kudos
42 Kudos
29 Kudos